Cupid

Adrien

"Listen, Stacy," I said in my most calm voice to the pale blonde girl in front of me, "you're a great girl. But I gotta be honest with you, I don't even remember going out with you."

She sniffled her nose and leaned on the fence. We were near a lake. I had come here to meet my buddy Andrew but he told me he was going to be late when I reached here. I was chilling in the cool whether when Stacy decided to show up. I was pretty sure I had never seen her in my life but according to her, we had went out on a couple of dates when I was in Queens, and we had never broken up. So technically, we were still dating.

"I don't understand, Adrien. We were so good together, how could you not remember? We went to the mall, we saw movies together, had dinner at a fancy restaurant, made out-"

"I can't remember. But if we ever went out, all I can say is, you deserve someone better than me. I literally have no memory of you, doesn't that make me unworthy? You'll find someone else, I know you will. You're amazing, there will be plenty of boys who would go out with you. Its not you, its me." I said the overdramatic line just as I had said it a million times before. But at least all the other times, I'd know the person I'm talking to.

Alright, judge all you want but this was me. A player. I had been with many girls over the time. When I'd date a girl, I would make sure I tell them I am not looking for anything serious. Being in casual relationships never hurt anyone, not unless one of you is serious. What did hurt people was love. I didn't know what love felt like, but I was not a nonbeliever, I knew it existed and that it was very powerful. I knew a man who was in love, and who became a wreck because of it. When my mother passed away, my father was broken, he was a mess. I remember everything like it was yesterday but lets not go there.

My point is, I didn't think love was for me. I did not want to risk it at all. But that never stopped me from getting into relationships, hoping that maybe I could learn something from it.

"Adrien... This could've been something." Stacy declared and touched my arm which was resting on the fence.

I held back the urge to say "yeah, something disastrous" and instead gave her an apologetical look.

"I'm sorry."

She nodded at me and slipped a card into my palm, "well, if you ever need me, you have my number. Don't hesitate to call or drop a text." She winked.

There was no way she was ever my girlfriend. No way. It was like she didn't care that I refused to go out with her, she was just happy she got to talk to me and give her number. Also, why wouldn't I have her number if I went out with her?

She was lying, this was new. Nobody had gone to that extent just so that they could have a conversation with me. Wow.

She smiled again and turned around. I saw her leave. Well maybe I could've dated her for a while, I hadn't been on a date in ages for some reason. Ever since I came here in Brooklyn, I was single. Maybe because this time, I wanted to focus more on friendship. Yeah, I realised that being in romantic relationships wasn't bad, but it was nothing compared to having an amazing set of friends who were always there for each other, and with each other. Weather it be Anne's problem with her family or Lex's problem with his, Madison's and Ariana's stress over balancing jobs and school, or any of Andrew's issues such as his awful sister. We were going to help each other through thick and thin, without thinking twice because that's what friends are for. And, they are also for making fun of you and for you to flirt with. Or maybe that was just my case.

Talking about friends, as Stacy left my view, I saw a confused Andrew observing me from a distance. I looked at him, waved enthusiastically and jogged towards him.