Feels Like Magic

Anne

For the past five-six years, I had dreamed about this day. I had made up scenarios in my head about this. A day when Andrew would tell me he liked me and I'd say I liked him too. Then I'd run into his arms and the world would be perfect. Of course, this was all a hopeless wish. Heck, I'd even talked to pillows and my own reflection, imagining them to be him. Petty, I know. The eleven year old me had no idea how to deal with feelings. The seventeen year old me didn't either, but at least I had gotten used to it by now.

Here was Andrew, telling me he liked me.

I pinched my palm. This had to be a dream. Soon, I would wake up on my bed while the cruel duo of fate and destiny would point their fingers at me and laugh at my hopelessness. This couldn't be happening, it was too good to be true.

I waited. Nothing happened. Andrew kept looking at me, his expression turning from determined to doubtful. Birds chirped in the distance as I gaped at him, waiting for him to dissolve.

Nothing could have prepared me for this. I had practiced my lines multiple times, whenever I had a conversation with him in my head. But now I felt lost. I was shaking. I was, of course, happy as I slowly began to realise that this was happening, but I was too shocked to react properly.

"Andrew..." I could barely whisper his name. My heart was pounding against my ribs at full speed now.

He likes me. He likes me. Oh. My. God. What do I do?! Calm down, Anne. Please. Don't embarrass yourself right now. But OMG he likes me too?! I'm gonna cry-

Why does he like me? There's May. There are so many people who are better than me. I'm a nobody.

"Anne?"

His voice pulled me back from self degradation. I calmed myself. I had to, this was huge. After coming back to my senses, I glanced around. My house was nearby. Of course, no one was in there at the moment, but it didn't feel safe to be talking to Andrew here. My neighbours were kinda nosy and I did not want to risk it.

I could no longer meet Andrew's intense gaze and his beautiful electric blue eyes, but I managed to tell him to follow me as I took him too the corner of the sidewalk, out of the nearby houses' view. It wasn't dark yet so people could still pretty much see us, but I had no time to think about that at the moment.

I cleared my throat, biting my lips to keep myself from smiling. Andrew looked a little at ease now. He must've realised I was trying not to grin.

I went through hundreds of things that I could say. Maybe I should start with something sophisticated and then work my way up to saying that I liked him too. It was still pretty hard to wrap my mind around what was going on but I decided to go with the flow.

I'm not freaking out.

"I like you too," I blurted.

Very subte, I mentally facepalmed myself.

Andrew looked a little shocked too, but he didn't say anything so I continued.

"Andrew. I-I never thought that you'd like me. I mean... I thought... No, nevermind that. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you've been more than a friend to me too, Andrew. I just never had the courage to say it. I couldn't admit it to you, I didn't wanna risk losing you. I like you too. A lot."

I finally looked up at Andrew and our eyes met. We didn't say anything for a few seconds. Andrew was giving me a bright smile, a smile that I adored more than anything. He was also blushing, which made me blush more.