Confusion

Madison

I was not feeling myself when Ariana dropped me at the cafe. I quickly changed into my uniform in the employee quarter and went to the counter.

"Hi Madison. You don't look so good." Brie noticed.

"Yeah. I told you about my friend leaving, right? I just saw him off."

"Oh. Well don't worry, its gonna be fine."

I started focusing on the work, I had been working in the cafe for four days now so I was getting a hang of it. Like Andrew had said, it was indeed helping me keep my mind off Parker leaving. 

I was trying not to recall the incidents that took place at the airport, Andrew crying while hugging Adrien, me sobbing into Parker's arms... Mostly horrible things. But I got the photo with Parker I needed. I had clicked a group selfie with all of my friends and sent it to Ariana to get a printout. She worked in a photography studio so we know whom the relatives were gonna approach for printing out marriage albums.

"Can I get two hamburgers and a sprite please?" A customer said at the counter.

"Yeah sure." I said, trying really hard to smile. I just hoped I didn't seem too creepy.

I gave the customer what he wanted but suddenly Brie pulled me aside.

"Madison do you wanna take a break?" she asked.

"No Brie, I'm fine. I just started working, I can't take a break already." I sighed.

"You've been working for quite sometime now. Plus, the place isn't too crowded, I can take care of it for sometime. Go take a breather." She suggested.

"But... okay." I mumbled and started walking towards the employee quarters but my eyes fell on the glass door of the cafe. I couldn't believe what I saw there so I had to rush out and make sure.

Andrew had just pulled up in front of the cafe and he was not alone. Anne got off from the back of his motorcycle and walked towards the cafe's gate. She stopped dead in her tracks as she saw me but then let out a relieved sigh. Both of them casually walked towards me. Of course the two were there with me at the airport but it still shocked me to see them together.

"Anne...?" I said as they reached me.

"Mads! I told you I was coming, did you forget?" She said quickly while faintly nodding towards Andrew.

I tried to remember her calling me but really couldn't. Then I figured she probably wanted me to lie and say yes.

"Yes." I said, doubtfully. 

"Why are you out here?" Andrew asked me.

"I was just taking a break. Why are you out here?" 

"Anne told me she was going to visit you and Ariana but she also said that she was gonna have to wait before your shift is over. And I didn't think it was a good idea to let her come here by bus and then go to your house. Three people on one scooter was not safe. I will drop her to your house and then leave." He replied as Anne shrugged nervously.

"Oh um, my shift isn't over yet so both of you are gonna have to wait." I said. Andrew was pretty thoughtful so I was not as surprised by the fact that he had thought so much. What surprised me was  Anne agreeing to it while she was not even allowed to be alone with boys. I was glad she was rebelling though. Her family's beliefs towards such cases were... well,  not very appreciatable.

***

I was behind the counter and Anne-Andrew were in front of me.

"You guys might as well order something..." I said, tapping my fingers on the counter.

"I'll have a blueberry bagel. We had ice cream and hot dogs so I'm not that hungry." Andrew said, "What about you Anne?"

I looked at Anne with one raised eyebrow as she cleared her throat and nodded towards Andrew again. I was puzzled beyond words but let it go for sometime.

"I'll have a Caffe Latte Grande, thats it."

"Go on, take seats. I'll get your order in a minute." I said and Andrew and Anne took a table for two.

"They're your friends?" Brie asked me as I told her the order.

"Yep."

"Are they together? They're cute."

"No, they are not together." I laughed, "but they do look cute. Hey, can I give them their order?"

"Yeah no problem."

I took a blueberry bagel and caffe latte grande in a tray and went towards my friends.

"That was fast." Andrew said.

"Yeah well. I'm Flash, you know me." I joked, "That will be 5.50 bucks for the bagel, and 4.50 bucks for the latte."

"You're gonna charge us too?" Anne said.

"Jesus, I don't own the place."

"Its okay, I'll pay." Andrew looked at Anne and assured her but she had other plans.

"No, I'll pay for the latte, don't worry."

"Anne, its like 10 dollars, I can pay that much."

"Andrew, I can pay for my latte."

"But-"

Before I gagged at the sudden awkwardness of the situation I spoke, "guys, you are one of the last customers of the day. It would really help me if you'd speed up the process and just pay."

At last it was decided that they would pay for the stuff they have ordered and the suffering was over. I went back to the counter where Brie was already cleaning up. 

I looked at Anne and Andrew talking to each other a bit awkwardly and having their meal. I decided to text Ariana.

Call me when you leave. Andrew and Anne are here, Andrew will be dropping Anne to our houses. Just pretend you knew Anne was coming. I dunno whats going on so when you come just nod and smile until its over :)

Her reply came soon enough.

LMAO it'll be fun to see how this turns out. I'm leaving rn, be there in a jiffy!  

***

I saw Ariana come at the gate of the cafe. I signaled Anne and Andrew and the three of us went outside.

"Hey there!" Ariana waved.

"Come on," I quickly sat on Ariana's scooter as Anne and Andrew sat too.  I was in a hurry to reach home and get an explanation about this whole situation. Ariana led the way and Andrew followed her towards our house. In no time, we were there. 

Anne got off the motorcycle and so did I. Ariana parked the scooter in out lawn and Andrew just stood with his motorcycle in front of the house. 

"Andrew, would you like to come in?" I asked to be polite but when I caught Anne's eyes, I regretted.

"No, I gotta go home, mom must be waiting. Bye, good night."

"Take care, Andrew." Anne said as he started to drive away. She kept looking in his direction and let out a huge sigh when he disappeared.

"Ahem-ahem!" Ariana fake-coughed. Anne turned around with a surprised expression, she looked like some one had woken her up from a sweet dream.

"We need an explanation?" I reminded her.

"Oh right. Lets go in first."

***