Family

Andrew

The morning was just like any other, lazy and bright. My alarm woke me up but I still kept lying on my bed, too cozy to move. I opened my eyes and adjusted them to see my ceiling. 

"Andrew! Wake up!" I heard my mom call.

"I'm up, I'm up..." I groaned and sat on my bed.

I quickly started to get ready for school. I had one last look at myself without my glasses on, untidy hair, messy get up. I looked nothing like myself. After putting on my glasses and combing my hair, I felt more like myself. The power of my eyes wasn't that bad, I could easily work without glasses but for some reason, I preferred wearing them in school.

I ran down the stairs to find my mother preparing breakfast. 

"Good morning mom." I said and sat down at the dining table, waiting for breakfast. It was kind of an unspoken rule at my house, my mom would serve the breakfast.

"Honey, on your way home, can you bring eggs and flour?" She asked as she sat in front of me.

"Sure," I said, "are you baking a cake?"

She did not meet my eyes and spoke after a lot of thinking, "it's for tonight."

"What's tonight?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Amy is visiting for dinner. I am thinking of making her favourite cake."

I hid my sigh. The more she tried to mend things, the worst they got. I wasn't even sure if Amy was going to come after the disaster that had happened the last time. But what could I say, I didn't feel like breaking my mom's dreams. Who was going to tell her that her daughter wasn't coming home now? I couldn't. For her sake, I had to pretend I still had hope. Mom would have been distraught if she had realised I didn't think things will ever be okay. Our relationship was too strained to ever be happy.

"Did you ask her if she was coming?" I held my breath and asked.

"I dropped a text."

The porridge was suddenly too interesting, she wasn't looking at me. Amy hadn't replied.

I didn't ask any other questions and finished eating. 

"Have fun at school." My mother said as I left the house.

***

"Nope." I nodded my head in disappointment, "I can't come to the movies. My sister is coming for dinner."

"She is?" Adrien asked and I sighed.

"Well, I can't come either," Madison said.

"Why?" Anne questioned.

"Uh lemme see, band rehearsals, job, school work-"

"We get it. I can come though." Anne shrugged.

"Not me." Ariana frowned. She had a job too so it was understandable. 

"I can either attend the rehearsal or the movies, but there's no choice you know." Lex looked at Madison who smiled.

"Too bad. Would have been fun but of course, Anne and I won't go alone." Adrien had a quick glance at me.

I was glad. Not that I doubted Adrien but believe me when I say this, Adrien could swoon any girl without actually wanting to. 

"Mads, has Ben contacted you?" Ariana asked suddenly. Right, Ben. The guy who had put us all on panic mode the day before yesterday. Madison seemed alright now, but for a few scary moments, all of us were really concerned about her and her safety. We still were, but watching Ben creepily talk to her was terrifying. Not to mention, Lex was ready to seriously hurt the guy (he deserved it).