19 - George's POV

George walked down the hall beside Nick. He and Nick had been friends for a while now, and he felt the most comfortable around him. In fact, Nick knew almost everything about him! They had known each other for a very long time...

"Wanna play with me?"

A young boy with black hair and a lisp asked a younger George. George looked up.

"Yeah sure!" He replied happily.

Not many people ever really asked to play with him, so he was excited that someone finally did.

The two boys ran around for a while before sitting on the bench near their pre-school. They watched as the other kids played together in their big groups and played games like tag, hide and seek, and whatever else they were doing.

"That was fun!" The boy with black hair laughed.

George nodded.

"Oh by the way, what's your name? Mine's Nick!" He smiled big.

Nick seemed like a nice person. George didn't think he'd ever see him do anything either than smile.

"My name's George." George told his new friend.

The two friends played for the rest of the day until their parents brought them home.

"Bye bye George!" Nick called to his friend as their parents walked them to their cars.

"Bye Nick!" George yelled back.

The two boys were happy that day. Not many people really wanted to play with George because he was the "teacher's pet" and always had the answer. Then Nick came along and made his life so much better.

"George, you and that Nick kid seemed to like each other a lot. Is he your friend?" George's mom asked.

George nodded vigorously and she laughed. She was glad that he had finally found a friend.

Nick's dad wasn't exactly the same though.

"He seems like the kind of kid to blurt out all the answers. What was his name? George? What and old-school name. I don't think you should be playing with him anymore, Nick." Nick's dad rambled.

Nick sat in the back and looked out the window. He had tuned out his dad a while ago. They didn't have the best relationship. His dad usually found reasons for him to stay home instead of go to the park or play with the few friends he had. His mom wasn't much different.

The two boys entered their homes with their parents close by. Neither of them knew what would happen next, if they'd ever see each other again, or if they'd stay friends for a long time.

Nick made a comment on how their math teacher had a strange name.

"Quackity? There isn't even a Mrs, Miss, Mr, Mx, or anything!" He spoke over-enthusiastically.

George smiled at his comment. Nick always knew how to make him laugh. No matter what mood he was in, Nick could change it to happy.

I guess not much has changed has it?

The two of them walked and talked all the way to their classroom. When George looked past Nick, he saw what had changed.

Clay.

He and Clay had met a few years after he had met Nick. Clay was someone who could have taken Nick's spot as "best friend" if he was still the same as back then.

"We've got English next, right?" George questioned.

"Yep!" Nick replied.

George smiled at the way Nick acted. He had never seen Nick cry before, and he's never seen him angry. Well, not angry at George anyways.

Clay on the other hand? I've seen him angry lot's. I suppose you can't really tell when he is unless he talks though...

George thought about Clay and the mask he wears. A white circle with a smile drawn on it. George never had the time to ask why Clay wears the mask, he kind of just accepted it as normal.

"Hey George, wanna play Minecraft after school?" Nick asked.

George nodded. They usually did anyways, but every time Nick asked it felt great. Like someone actually wanted to play with him. Nick, Clay, and Darryl were pretty much the only students who had never asked for help with their homework, not even once! Most of the time, George had about five or six random kids from his school asking him questions they didn't know the answers to.

Just because I'm among the top students in my grade, doesn't mean I have all the answers!

He sighed and let his mind wander. Nick looked around and waved to people who acknowledged him. The two of them didn't stop walking until they saw someone else they knew.

Oh look, there's... Clay...

George's face felt hot. He didn't understand why, but it always happened when he was near Clay.

"Hi George, Nick! How are you guys?" Clay greeted them.

George let Nick talk. He had to regain control over the English language. He knew that if he talked first, he would stumble on his words or just say nothing at all.

Gosh, why does this happen? It's just Clay!

After a minute or two, George fixed himself and gained the ability to speak.

"So George, what class do you have next?" Clay asked.

"English according to Nick. What about you?" George replied.

Clay thought for a moment. George didn't understand why he had to think about that.

"Can't remember. Oh well, guess I'll find out later!" Clay laughed.

The three of them began walking to the English classroom. George was pretty sure Clay had already been to English today but he didn't mind. He kind of liked when Clay came with them...

He's such a great... friend. Just a... friend... friend? I mean... that's all he said he was...

They arrived at the English classroom in no time. George almost didn't want Clay to leave. Clay was... different. George wasn't really sure why though...

It's Clay. Just Clay! No super powers, nothing different. Then why do I feel like this?

"We gotta go now Clay. Goodbye!" Nick called as he and George walked into the classroom.

"Bye... Clay..." George sighed and waved to Clay.

Clay waved back. When the two friends were inside, they sat down and waited for the lesson to start.

Man he's... wait WHAT. WHY DID I THINK THAT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO