Chapter 13: Actions Speak Louder

After convincing Amy to stay at my house with me tonight I walked to Mr. Haze’s class listening to the late bell ring as I pass through the last hall. I knocked semi softly on the wooden door that was now closed, as it always was after the late bell. There was a low grunt at the other side of it before it had been opened by my teacher. 

“I’m sorry I was talking to Mrs. Bennett and---” I started trying to cover myself. I actually didn’t intend to get into trouble today, nor did I wish to.

“You’re late Miss Willard as per usual. So I know you won’t protest to detention tonight with me until 2:45.” 

“Of course not.” I said emotionless.

Not getting another response from the bitter man I took my seat next to Krissy in the second row from the front. While Mr. Haze’s face was turned toward his computer a folded up piece of paper landed on my desk. I opened it and when I saw fancy cursive writing I looked up to Krissy and smiled at her. The note asked if we could hang out after school tonight, I told her sure but that Amy was going to be accompanying us. She drew a cutesy anime type smiley face and then said she wouldn’t want to be a third wheel. I blushed at that. Though Amy and I weren’t dating I honestly could imagine it and especially the dreams I’d been having lately escalated the thoughts in my mind. I looked over to Krissy and rolled my eyes. I wrote okay then gave it back. 

I made my way to Miss Opal’s class and made myself comfy in my seat next to Chance. His black hair seemed to be swept to the side a little more today to kind of lighten up his eyes, or at least it would if he ever actually put his head up. 

“Romeo and Juliet guys you know the drill!” Miss Opal said cheerfully motioning with her hands to encourage people to get up. They dragged their feet as they went to the bookshelf and each grabbed a Shakespearean work. I however already grabbed my book. “Oh yes I know it’s horrible to be in school, I was here once you’ll be okay. Jasmine thank you for being prepared as always.” She smiled at me. I nodded to her in response. Yes surprisingly enough I actually did and enjoyed my work in English. I think it’s because I have this creative side to me but no one knows about it…well…except for Miss Opal. 

“Okay Juliet, who is my Juliet?” she asked. She  looked at me first then I turned away and let my hair fall in my eyes. “Okay Jasmine go ahead. Now Romeo! Yes, Chance!” 

I lifted my head a little looking at the kid beside me who didn’t look back up at me. We began reading the pages that had the balcony scene on it I read it with no conviction in my voice whatsoever because I didn’t want to seem like a loser to the others around me for getting too into it like I usually did. At home reading it I’d always put conviction behind each word; even make hand gestures, but here…I try to play it down and low as best I could. 

Though when I heard Chance begin to read the script in the book I quickly regretted reading it the way I did, he put every once of himself into the text it really blew me away. He was wonderful! I could tell he had a passion for Shakespearean works. I was practically staring at him in awe. 

“Wonderful Chance! Jaz try a little harder next time sweetie okay.” She looked at me and smiled. “Have a wonderful rest of your day guys!” Miss Opal announced before everyone rushed out the door in a heap to get to their next period and to those who had lunch next the cafeteria. 

Miss Opal called me up to her desk. 

“Yes.” 

“Sweetie, I know you have so much more potential then what you’re putting forth please practice over the weekend okay. These parts are permanent.” She said to me seriously. 

“Will do Miss O.” I said giving her a thumbs up before going to the cafeteria. 

While walking I felt a hand grab my shoulder, I turned to find Camryn behind me.