Chapter 18: Downhill

That night I found the assignment to not be as hard as I thought. I found myself thinking about Amy…how when we met we just instantly had this connection. I flashed back to when I was on the phone with Camryn in the library and she was right there. Comforting me, embracing me in her warm, loving arms; something that Camryn hadn’t done to me in a long time. The smell of vanilla was pertain in the air, her voice and touch was the only thing that calmed me down. Now, I had nothing. So that’s exactly what I wrote about, of course I left out the occupation and modified it so the other girl was the same age as me. Miss Opal wasn’t judgmental but still I don’t think she’d take too well to knowing that who I liked was her boss. In the end of my story the character ends up killing herself after losing everything that made her happy. 

The doorbell rang as I was about to make my dinner. My heart leapt then fell as I opened the door to see Krissy on my doorstep; I was hoping it my be Amy. “Where were you earlier?” She asked me before basically tacking me in my doorway. 

“I was skipping class.” I said barely above a whisper. 

“Were you with Camryn again?” I cringed at the mention of his name. 

“Yeah, but only for a little bit. Other than that I was in the bathroom.” 

“So you’d rather hang out with nasty toilets than with me. Yes, I can definitely see how that is logical. No toss up there.” She always knew how to make me smile. 

“No, no,” I choked between my laughs, “Amy and I…we had a fight.” My friend gave me a quick look before it really snapped in my head how I phrased that sentence almost as if we were…in a relationship. I started to finally close the door behind her hoping she took it as a sign to come in. She took a seat on my couch. 

“What did you fight about?” 

I sighed making the tears stay in the ducts so I didn’t break down to my friend and look like a complete idiot. “She basically told me she didn’t want anything to do with me. I don’t know what else to do right now.” She must’ve seen my struggle to keep from crying because she wrapped her arms around me. I cried on her shoulder that she offered. “It’ll get better sweetheart.” She began stroking my hair as I calmed down. 

“How? How do you know?” 

“I don’t know but I feel like it will. A gut feeling ya know? Like detectives sometimes get.” She pulled my body away from hers gently and beamed at me. 

I tried to smile back but it didn’t happen. “Krissy, I know for a fact it won’t get better even if I really want it to. I mean hell, Amy-” I paused, I had to refrain from saying that name. “Mrs. Bennett is basically like thirty-five!” 

“Jaz. This is you we’re talking about here, aren’t you the one that’s always saying ‘age is but a number?” 

I sigh. She’s absolutely right. “But you seem to be forgetting she is still married. Ya know that ceremony that brings two people together for almost the rest of their lives.” Granted their marriage isn’t exactly extravagant. With all the abuse and who knows what else.

“Either way Jaz, this isn’t something you are going to get over overnight. I wanted to date you for a long time and when I finally got the courage to I saw the way you looked at her.”  Her smile grew.

“I don’t have a ‘look’ when I look at her. Actually, I don’t look I just…glance.” I lied and we were both aware of it. I don’t know why I try to fib to her she sees through my rouse every time. 

“Oh yes that’s why whenever she’s around I basically have to slap you upside the head to get you to stop staring at the woman’s ass! Not to mention you tend to get short of breath and not to mention words whenever she’s near you. But that’s definitely NOT a sign of attraction not at all!” Sarcasm was practically dripping from her lips as she said this. 

This was not helping…so I decided to change the subject.” How are you and Maryssa?” 

“She’s going to find a place to stay until her and her mom make amends. Although I am going to tell her she could move in with me.” She paused to run her fingers through her jet black hair. “As for us, she hasn’t been able to contact me until her mom’s out because she’s been monitoring all her electronics. Going through texts, calls, everything. She’s going to make it so we won’t be able to stay together!” 

“I’m sure you guys will be okay, you have a strong connection.” I smiled at her. “Can I ask you something though?”

She nods and say ‘go for it.’

“How does it feel to truly kiss another girl?” I felt foolish for asking such a random question. I had been curious for a while on this. Whenever it didn’t feel as god as I had planned it to be. 

“It’s actually a lot more gentle. They know exactly where to put their hands and their lips are a lot softer.” She replied. 

I could almost image being in Amy’s office, her pulling me in close and crushing her lips against mine. Our lips moving in sync and her gentle, smooth hands being rubbing my back or grabbing my head to deepen the feeling of her red stained lips on mine. Just the  thought of that happening made a million butterflies erupt in my stomach. It makes my heart beat quicken a thousand times it’s natural pace. Then they settle again, knowing that my re-occurring fantasy will never become a reality. My heart will always belong to Amy Bennett but hers will forever be immune to me. I’m probably just some disease that makes her sick to her stomach.

Author's Note: Sorry for the long wait guys I just really couldn't think that well with everything going on. So unfortunately chapters aren't exactly the longest either. Really hope you forgive me and give me as much constructive critism that you can :D Happy Reading!!