Chapter 16: Heartache

The thudding in my heart became louder, it almost hurt against my chest, and I could feel the rhythmic beat in my eardrums. 'Okay I get it. I like her'. I admitted to myself. Though then I frowned to myself when I realized nothing could happen. Being in my position there are boundaries that I cannot cross, actions I cannot perform, and things I cannot say. Another thought occurred to me...this is going to hurt like hell. I decided to talk to Krissy when I got to school about this new recollection, that is until I saw her slumped on the floor in front of her locker and her head in her hands. Her back was convulsing, I identified the movement as a sign that she was crying. I took a few cautious steps toward her. Her head popped up and I saw a salty, translucent tear running down her left cheek. I slouched down on the locker beside her and looked at her with sad, but understanding eyes. I wanted to hug her, I had no idea what was wrong but I just wanted to try and comfort her the best I could. She nodded her head at me, a piece of her jet black hair falling in her face at the action. I ignored the usual habit of brushing it out of her and I hugged her tight in my arms. This action seemed to make her beginto sob into my shoulder; I could almost feel the weight of the tears fall to the cotton of my shirt, like streaming raindrops in a furious storm falling down. Some of it felt as if it was seeping through the cotton of my shirt. 

"Sh-urt." Krissy mumbled into my shoulder.

I pulled her away from me. "What? What happened?"

"She's h-hurt. H-her mother found out about and then she---" there was a slight pause before she finished, I looked at her intently, "she beat Maryssa!"

I hugged her tight to me again. I let her tears fall on my shoulder. I watched her get heart broken again. The first time her girlfriend, Courtney actually committed suicide because everyone was picking on her for being a lesbian. It was bad enough she already had foster parents that could give a shit less about her. Courtney had been found in her home lying dead in her bedroom, cuts deep on her wrists it made the detectives think that she bled to death but that was only for a split second until they looked in her other hand and there was a gun shotgun in her left hand. At the age of thirteen, Krissy attended the funeral of her girlfriend that she'd been with for six months. When I saw her the next day she was extremely depressed, she had cut her own wrists and ankles. I think I was the only one to notice the marks on her...no one else asked, because no one else had the heart enough to care. I asked if she was alright and she told me while staring off into space: "Her body...it was so cold, her eyes shut, her face angelic. I wanted to hold her. To kiss her dead lips that were soon to be frozen in some hole in the ground." That was the first time Krissy and I had spoke. We became aquaintences, not yet friends...but I tried to be there for her every heart aching moment she had from that day on. A few times I actually got her to smile. It was the happiest feeling I'd felt to see someone so depressed for months, show such a beautiful smile.

I hugged her tighter remembering that dark memory. "It'll be alright. Maryssa is strong and she loves you." I said into her hair. But I didn't know if it was going to be okay, I wasn't even sure if it would effect their relationship or not. I was just giving her hope. It worked. She sniffled once to collect herself; when she stood up she gave me a half smile followed by a short nod of the head.

"So," she sniffled, "what's on your mind?"

"It's nothing." I said. I didn't feel like discussing my own feelings about Amy right now, when I knew that Krissy was hurt with what happened to Maryssa. I didn't want to make things worse. 

"Obviously something's wrong." She grabbed my hands. she must have noticed them shaking. Through the years taht Krissy and I have known each other; she's picked up on the physical reactions that tie in with my emotions. 

"I---" my voice was cut off by another voice. A familiar one. it was Candy. 

"What the hell?! Why are you holding my friend's hand? You could give her a disease or something!" Her face scrunched up in disgust.