Chapter 19: The Right's of Being Wrong

Amy's POV

I know it was the only thing I could do even though I didn’t want to. It’d be better this way for Jasmine, all I was is for her to be happy and I know she can accomplish happiness without an old lady like myself. Yet I still felt cold inside. The look that Jasmine gave me flashed into my head and can only be described as one word: broken. After I did that to her I sat in an empty office sobbing until the speaker on my desk beeped to tell me one of the secretaries was paging me. I pressed the red button and let my finger linger there for her to talk. 

“Your presence is needed in Miss Opal’s classroom for observation,” She spoke in a snobby, impatient tone.

“Oh yes, thank you I forgot.” I sniffled before I pluck a Kleenex from the box I had sitting on  the far left of my desk. I finally took my finger off the button, and took out my compact so I could use the mirror to check for any makeup that had gotten messed up. I erased the eyeliner smudges under my eyes and fixed the liner that had been wiped away from my finger. 

“Hello Mrs. Bennett!” The bubbly blonde greeted me as I advanced towards the door. 

“Good afternoon Miss Opal.”

“Are you alright sweetie? You look like you’ve been crying!” She asked as she brushed a piece of hair out of my face.

“No…I’m fine. Thank you it’s just allergies.” 

The woman gave me a disapproving look. “Sweetie, I know you’ve been crying. Don’t try to pull the wool over my eyes, I know better. But, if you wanna talk about it feel free.” Her smile was warm and inviting. 

I entered the classroom and took a seat in the back of the class. Then it hit me, this is the room Jasmine’s in for this period. My world shut down around me, everything went blank and I felt dizzy as hell. I saw the blonde hair and the skinny figure. My breath caught in my mouth, I felt like I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen. Her blue eyes connected with mine only for a moment before she smiled over at Camryn who had waved to her. A flame started to consume me at seeing that smile, the smile that usually only belonged to me-given to someone else. It doesn’t make any sense…she gets furious at me because I won’t leave my asshole of a husband, yet she can canoodle with Mr. Asshole himself who just uses her for sex.

While being in the classroom I was making  sure that I was observing the right person during my time there. Though I knew Miss Opal would do well… as she always did so I didn’t have to watch her, but I needed a distraction. After sitting there listening Mists Opal’s speech about what they were doing and the bell rang.. I began packing my things when miss Opal came over to me. She rested a hand delicately on my shoulder and as usual, offered me a warm smile. 

“Is it about your husband again?” She inquired. 

“No…well maybe a bit. I’m just stuck right now.” 

She placed a finger underneath my chin so I was looking up at her now. She smiled again. “You have feelings for Jasmine don’t you Amy?” Her voice, soft in the room but it spoke volumes to me. Alarms began to buzz in my head, 

“No,” I chuckled trying to remain calm.” I don’t have feelings for her that’s absurd! IT’s w-wrong.” The last word that left my mouth made me hurt a bit.

“I saw you face when she smiled at Camryn Lux, Amy. That was a look of jealousy, jealous eyes for that beautiful girl that you have feelings for. And despite what other people may say I find it completely natural. Either way it’s love right!’ Her right eye gave me a wink before I practically crushed her in an embrace. 

“Thank you.” 

After observing a few more teachers I went back to my office. I expected to only find paperwork but in the center of my desk, on top of the clutter was a note card. On it was the typing: Better watch your back some people see more than you want them to. They know more than you want them to. And they have more power than you want them to have.” I froze before I flopped back in my rotating chair. My mind began to flood with questions. What did this person see? What do they know? Who was the person? And most importantly do they know about my feelings for Jasmine? Instead of bothering myself with something that may not even be about that, so I went straight to work on my paperwork. Before I knew it, it was two forty-five. I sighed. “Wow a whole day without seeing Jasmine well besides when I saw her in class. I feel weird…no not weird. I feel sort of empty in a way. Shit why does everything always come back around to her? My colleagues words rang in my ears again “Jealous eyes for that beautiful girl you have feelings for…either way it’s love right?” Was this love? No, hell no it can’t be. My mind rewound  through the weeks I’ve been here and the first day that I come through those large double doors. The way her eyes captivated me, held me. The way that her presence would just ignite this warmth within me. I thought about what my temperature was right now. Cold. Almost like ice. Like I could somehow get frostbite on the inside of my body. I could almost feel ice creeping into my veins and then coating my organs then finally covering my heart in a sheet of ice. That’s when I had to completely admit it to myself…I love Jasmine Willard, right or wrong, she has my heart.