Cooking

We stepped out of my fireplace to an empty house.
"My parents are working, so we can just pack quickly and head to the train station"
My room was on the first floor, off the kitchen.
"Makes it easier for a midnight snack!"
"Are you ever not hungry?"
"Not usually" he laughed
I rummaged thru my drawers and found all my summer clothes.
"When Penny and Rowan come, I think we are going to need to go shopping. I haven't gotten new summer clothes in a while"
"I think Bill, Charlie, and I will stay behind"
"Oh you guys weren't invited" I laughed "We need girl time"
"What do you talk about during girl time?" He raised his eyebrow
"Wouldn't you like to know?" I winked "What do you and the boys talk about?"
"Charlie is a good listener. He talks about Dragons or creatures. But I talk about other things and he listens and gives advice. He's really smart about a lot of things. Bill likes to joke around a lot, but he gets serious about some things"
"Like what?"
"Like you. The cursed vaults. He thinks of you as an honorary Weasley. He loves you like a sister, so he feels really protective of you. But don't tell him I said that"
"Secret's safe with me. Penny and Rowan ask about you a lot. But Penny likes to gossip. And she started dating Talbott kind of secretly after Valentine's Day last year. Rowan has been prepping for OWLs since first year so this year she's going to be insufferable with getting us to study" I laughed
"I don't know about Talbott. He seems kind of.... weird"
"He's a good guy. He just doesn't like to be around people a lot."
"How's that going to work for Penny?"
"Good question. But can I tell you a secret? And you can't say anything?"
"Sure I guess..."
"Well back in third year, Talbott helped me with something...."
"Oh? what's that?"
I transformed into my animagus bird and flew over to Barnaby's shoulder. I gave him a little peck on the cheek and flew back to my bed to turn back
"Woah. That was amazing. why didn't you tell me before?"
"No one knows except Talbott and Professor Mcgonagall. I am registered with the ministry, but it's still really secret. Talbott is also an animagus, but he isn't registered."
"That's really advanced magic... I can't believe you did it third year. I was still trying to master basic charms"
"At least you aren't struggling with levitation like that kid in our charms class"
"True, although he's okay at the other charms"
"You're really good at charms. the only 3 you need help with are Potions, transfiguration, and history of magic, and let's be honest who doesn't need help in that class..  I think you will do well on all your OWLs. You just need an E in transfiguration and charms. Snape wants Is for his NEWT class so I will be studying for that one myself."
"Between Detention, Cursed Vaults, and OWLs, you are going to be really busy next year."
"I'll be fine. Don't worry, I will always have time for you" I smiled
"I wasn't worried. What else do you need to pack? I feel like you are packing everything"
"I just need to grab some muggle money and sent a quick owl, and then we can go"
The train station was only a few block away so it was a quick walk. After a 3 hour train ride, pops was there to pick us up.
"Oy it's a tighter squeeze than last year" I slid to the middle seat in the truck and Barnaby barely got the door closed with Marie on his lap.
As soon as we pulled into the driveway, Lolly came running out the door.
"Welcome home dearies" she ran to Barnaby first to hug him.
"What am I? Chopped liver?"
"Oh get over here love"
After the hug fest, Barnaby brought our bags upstairs to our rooms and we unpacked quickly.
"Can you go to the garden and get some things to make a salad for dinner?"
"Sure" Barnaby volunteered immediately
"Thanks love"
We brought our baskets to the garden.
"When you pick the lettuce, you have to be careful not to pull up the roots, or else we won't get anymore all summer" I explained "I'll start getting the tomatoes"
Barnaby made quick work of the lettuce and came to help with the other vegetables.
"The cucumber stems are prickly" he said pulling his hand quickly away
"Oh don't be a pouf. It's not that prickly. Just make sure the flower is completely gone. That's how you know it's ripe"
"There's a lot here that are ripe then"
"That's ok. We can make pickles later"
"Make pickles? Pickles are cucumbers?"
"Yes" I laughed
"And you know how to make them?"
"Yes. Of course"
"I never thought about making them I guess"
I laughed "Well not everyone has house elves to cook for us"
"My Gran would die before picking her own food"
"I can imagine. It's more fun this way"
Once our baskets were full, we washed all the vegetables and I showed Barnaby how to cut the cucumbers for pickles so I could make the brine.
" I told Lolly and Pop to take the horses out for a nice ride. We can handle dinner tonight  and we'll get these pickles canned"
"I've never cooked anything before."
"That's ok. I'm here with you. I won't let you screw it up"
We talked and laughed as we worked. After the jars were sealed and in the basement to cool, we made barbeque chicken. I showed B how to make our secret family barbeque sauce.
"This feels like potions class. All the measurements and stirring."
"Except this is going to be much more delicious than any potion"
Working together in the kitchen felt very domestic and natural. After dinner, Pops and Lolly cleaned up the dishes and it was our turn for a sunset ride.
"Who knew servants work was so much fun" he winked
I rolled my eyes.
"It is fun. I love cooking"
"See? That's why we're such a good match. Because I like eating"
We hitched up the horses to a tree next to the pond. We took our shoes off and sat on the dock to dip our toes in and watch the sunset.
"The school year flew by" I said leaning my head on his shoulder. He put his arm around me.
"It did. It was the best year yet. Quidditch...and you"
"You are the Quidditch star of the school. You're better than Rath"
"You aren't such a bad beater yourself. You shattered her arm, remember?"
"Ugh I was so mad that day." I laughed
"You should think about trying out for beater. I think you would be better than anyone else from our house. We'd make a good team."
"I'll talk to Orion and see what the team needs. Maybe someone will surprise us. The sun's been down for a while. It's getting chilly. We should go back soon."
He stood up and offered his hand. I took it and he pulled me up and his lips met mine. I ran my fingers thru his hair until it was perfectly tousled, just the way I liked it. We rode home, our path lit by moonlight.