Prefect

I awoke to an owl at my window. I fumbled with my click to see what time it was. 8:30. I guess I should start getting up earlier. Scho is going to start soon. The owl was growing impatient. I stumbled over to the window and grabbed the letter. It was from Hogwarts. Usually they just drop off our supply lists. Weird. I put Barnaby's aside and opened mine.

Dear Miss Bond

I am pleased to inform you that you have been chosen for the position of Prefect for your fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed you Prefect badge. I trust you'll find it suitably shiny.

Yours sincerely
Albus Dumbledore
Headmaster

There had to be some kind of mistake. How could I have been chosen as prefect after all the trouble I had gotten into. A whole year of detention. I stared at the letter for a few minutes before Barnaby came into my room.
"G'morning. Did you hear all that tapping? Hey what's wrong?" Apparently the shock I felt translated to my face
I silently handed him the letter to read.
"This is amazing! You deserve it. Are you not happy about it?"
"I guess I thought it would be Rowan. I wonder why Professor Dumbledore and Professor Snape picked me over her."
"Maybe because you have been protecting the students since first year by breaking all those curses"
"Yeah but I'm rubbish at following the rules. How will I tell Rowan. She'll be heartbroken."
"She's your friend. She'll understand. I'm sure she'll be happy for you"
"I better write to her straight away."
As I was writing, another owl tapped at my window
"Busy day for post" laughed Barnaby
"I'll say"

Dear Tiffany

I am sure you have received your supplies list already and noticed a little something extra in it. Professor Dumbledore spoke to me at the end of term last year to tell me you would be the Slytherin prefect. He swore me to secrecy. I'm so happy for you! I figure I'll be too busy studying for OWLs and tutoring others to do any prefect duties.

See you soon!
Love Rowan

"I told you everything would be fine" Barnaby wrapped me into a hug.
"You're so smart" I smiled
"You're the only one who ever tells me that" he laughed
"I'm the only one who really knows you then"
"And just think... now you can use the Prefects bathroom." he winked at me
"Hmm I'll have to see who the other Prefects are... I'm sure there's got to be one who is decent looking" I joked
"Yeah and if I see any of them looking at you, I will kill him with my own bare hands"
"I don't think that will be necessary" I laughed as I heard a knock at the door.
"I wonder who that could be" I ran to the door to find Bill and Charlie
"Surprise. We had to come and see you" said Bill "Charlie made prefect!"
"Oh Charlie that's wonderful" I hugged him and kissed his cheek. His face turned bright pink "I made prefect too!"
"I wonder what the dungeon bat was thinking making you Prefect" laughed Bill
"He's not a dungeon bat" I laughed. As much as most students didn't like Snape, I kind of had a soft spot for him. "And I'm sure it was mostly Dumbledore's idea. I don't think Snape likes me much."
"All the same, with you two as Prefects, it will be a lot easier for our friends to get away with some shenanigans"

"I'm glad Charlie's feeling better" Barnaby and Charlie were off doing something (I have no idea what those boys get up to). Bill and I were chatting
"Yeah he's doing ok. He's got some things to work out."
"What things?"
"Just guy stuff"
"Sounds mysterious. It's weird being the only girl in our little group. Makes me miss Penny and Rowan, but we rarely seem to have time to hang out" Bill put his arm around me
"You're practically an honorary Weasley brother"
"As long as I get to be the best looking brother" I laughed
"Nah that's me. You can be second"

The rest of the afternoon passed quickly. The next morning we were off to Kings Cross for Platform 9 3/4.