A Bit Closer (Part 25)

Today wasn't met to have surprises. Today was meant to be a simple day, even if I had to go to the Nakahara's apartment. Today might have been not as simple as I wanted it to be, but then.

Why is Akutagawa here?

On the other side of the doorway stood a man. His hair was slightly less oily than usual, his clothes were a bit on the formal causal side, and his eyes had a certain spark to them.

Atsushi stood with his mouth agape in front of the doorway. Is that really Akutagawa?

Akutagawa showed his hand courteously, "Can I ask you on a date?" his voice was as bleak as it could be, but nevertheless flustered Atsushi.

"What are you saying, Akutagawa!" he covers his mouth, realizing he might have said it too loudly. Replying a bit quickly seems to have hurt Akutagawa.

The older frowned slightly, "Oh, is that no?"

"What no, no to the no, no, I mean, I didn't say no." Behind Atsushi was Chuuya staring in utter puzzlement. Even though his face was blank, Atsushi knew that Chuuya was silently chuckling inside his head. Embarrassed, he covers his face with his hand.

As Akutagawa reaches out to take his hand off, the tiger boy shakes his head, "I hope you know what you are saying." as startled as he was, he remembers what Nakahara had said earlier. He could feel a small smile crawling up his face.

Why wouldn't his answer be yes? He might not show it much, but he really likes Akutagawa. Unlike before, this felt real. All past crushes were only zephyrs of wind. This one was a gale. It was almost as if he learn to love all over again.

Akutagawa immediately perks up, "Can we go now?" He said, the words rushing out of his mouth, too impatient to wait for a proper reply.

"Um, not now. I would like to dress a bit nicer for this." Looking down, Atsushi knew his outfit wasn't very nice. A plain grey sweater and black sweatpants aren't the best dates outfit. Akutagawa steps out of the way as Atsushi makes forth towards his apartment. He gives a small wave before closing the door.

Instantly, he collapses to the floor on the doormat with a thud. He held his chest as he felt how high his heartbeat was. Did he just ask me out? His panic was short, however. The thought disappears as he composes himself, taking a few deep breaths. Sighing, he gets up and goes to his room.

Within a few minutes, Atsushi comes out in a nicer yet comfortable outfit. White t-shirt covered by a dark beige winter coat with light blue jeans tight on his thighs. He also wore a scarf gifted to him by Kyouka. She wanted to give Atsushi a gift for all he had done for him. Asano helped with picking it out.

He opens the door again to reveal Akutagawa, as expected. "Are you ready?"

"Yes, how impatient are you?" he teases as he walks out. Annoyed as he was, he walked side by side with the taller. Akutagawa took his hand gently without him noticing.

In the past couple of weeks, Atsushi has noticed that Akutagawa had this newfound boldness or confidence in himself. It all started when he asked if they were going to school together. Atsushi reluctantly said yes, as even though they were friends, they were rivals at their jobs. Nothing happened, just two friends walking side by side, every day to school.

One day, without any questions, Akutagawa grabbed Atsushi's hand. The next thing he sensed was the rushing wind of a car passing by. Akutagawa had saved him from a would have been car accident. Ever since, Akutagawa had held Atsushi's hand, even with resistance. To his dismay and hidden joy, this would be another day in public with his hand evermore warm.