That Afternoon (Part 23)

Atsushi

Squeeking of the marker gliding across the board with scratches of pencils leaving their mark commences another day. Atsushi worked diligently, taking notes more skillfully than his past self. Akutagawa's notes, comparatively, were quite sparse as per usual.

The bell ringed not too long after the teacher finished giving her lecture.

With a few last strokes, she spoke, "That concludes today's lesson. Make sure to do your homework and study."

With a bit of shuffling, Akutagawa and Atsushi were ready to go to their new class together.

They walk together because after Akutagawa threaten to kill Atsushi again. The reason being that he couldn't stand Atsushi be in front of him.  Atsushi bluntly, by mistake, states that they should just walk together side by side.

To Atsushi's disbelief, Akutagawa agreed, and they have been walking together ever since. Walking together with Akutagawa has been the best and most stressful thing that he has done so far. It felt like waltzing in a field of flowers with landmines that can explode any second.

Along the commute, Tanizaki passes by, giving a wave to Atsushi. Atsushi waves back without knowing that Akutagawa was glaring at Tanizaki. His fiery eyes that burned with hatred scared Tanizaki, knowing he can't do much about it.

"Umm, see you later, Atsushi!" And he dashes off.

"Huh? Tanizaki-san isn't a person to leave so quickly. Do you think something is wrong?"

Akutagawa shrugged, "I don't know him very well, so I'm unsure."

Atsushi lightly chuckled, "Hehe, yeah. At least you're honest." I wonder what scared Tanizaki off so quickly?

A couple of steps later, they have arrived at their nest class. They sit at the same table, assigned to them after their little scuffle.

"Hello, class! Today I have a project for all of you to do. This will be the last assignment of this class before you go to your new class. This project is very important to your grade as well so, it better be finished on time. You can also submit your project into a contest to win a secret surprise that'll you'll receive at the end of the year."

The art teacher pulls a stunning structure out from the back and presents it to everyone.

"This is last year's winner of the contest. The topic changes every year so, last year's winners can't be referenced for this year. The winner is usually announced at the end of the year when every person who wants to submit their project submits it."

"This year's topic is emotion. It's a broad topic, so I expect you guys to have creative ideas. You can use any media you want as long it's safe. Since this project is quite comprehensive, we are going to have partners. Your partner will be listed on the paper near my desk. The project is due in two weeks, and the rest of the time is yours. If you have any questions, you may come to me for help."

Students shuffle their way near her desk to a single piece of paper with all their partners listed.

"Hah? I'm not partners with you? I'm sorry best friend."

"Lucky us, we're together."

"I hate you." the students continued to comment on their partners. Only Atsushi and Akutagawa were left in their seats together.

"Akutagawa, do we even need to check?"

"No, we already know."

"Well, nice working with you... Again." As the punishment stated, they were going to be partnered up for the rest of their school life.