New Life Part 5

I haven't smelled tatami mats in a long time. "Huh? Where am I? What happened last night?" Atsushi has just woken up from his slumber. What happened as Atsushi thought back.

"Did you remember nothing when you transformed?" Dazai asks

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh. But your right hand is somehow fully transformed." Dazai points.

"Right hand?" Atsushi looks down at his raised right arm. 

Atsushi shutters at remembering the thought. He quickly gets up to look at his right arm. Good, it's human. So, I have powers now. Atsushi sighs. It's been so long since I slept under a roof. Suddenly some phone rings. Atsushi panics as he tried to find the phone and answer the call.

"Moshi Moshi?!"

"Good Morning!" Dazai said in English

"Oh, it's just you Dazai-san." Atsushi has calmed down a bit.

"Today's another beautiful day. How's the guest bedroom?" Dazai is obviously in a happy mood

"Great, thank you for letting me stay here. Compared to sleeping outside, it's heavenly." It really is.

"That's good to hear. There's a change of clothes at your pillow that's a gift from everyone at the agency."

"Thank you so much for everything." Both are smiling on both sides

"By the way, Atsushi-kun. I apologize for asking this out of the blue, but there's been an emergency." Dazai's voice has gotten serious.

"An emergency?" Atsushi's concern raised.

"Yes, there's no time to waste. Please come to the specified location immediately. It's a crisis!" Only you can help." This seems urgent

"O-okay, I understand." 

Atsushi quickly dresses up and is putting on his shoes

"Are you ready, Atsushi-kun?"

"Yes," Atsushi replies 

"First, when you leave the room, make sure to close the door. It's my house after all." Atsushi does just that. "Look behind you!" 

"Behind me." Atsushi quickly turns around and sees Dazai-san in an oil drum. He runs over to Dazai. Atsushi is, of course, weirded out by the way Dazai is in the drum. "Um. What is this about?"

"What do you think?"

"Maybe I'm hallucinating?"

"Wrong!" Dazai says in a humorous voice.

"Is it an enemy attack? Did you get caught in a trap?"

"I got in myself" Dazai flat out says

"Huh?" Got in himself? What is he thinking?

"Well, you see, I heard that there's a way to commit suicide by getting stuck in an oil drum

Screenshot from the BSD s1 ep2

"Not to mention, now that I've wedged myself this deep, I can't get out on my own. I think I might die." Dazai is slowly getting deeper and deeper inside the oil drum.

"I see. But it's a way to commit suicide, so you should be able to die is you stay long enough. Right?" Atsushi is uncombable around the situation he got himself into.

"I like suicide, but I don't like suffering or pain! Why would I?!?" Atsushi sighs "I've only learned after that this wasn't a suicide method. It was a torture method!" As Dazai said that, Atsushi pushed the drum over to let Dazai out.

"There." Atsushi puts his hands on his hips. Last night, my powers, which I just found out about, got out of control, and this man, Dazai-san stop me with his own. Dazai-san is a person with supernatural powers and is part of the Armed Detective Agency. 

"Atsushi Nakajima! You'll become one of us. From this day forth, you'll be a member of the Armed Detective Agency."

"That was painful," Dazai said, cracking his hips. "I own you one, Atsushi-kun. Without you, I would've snapped in half."

"Did you ask your coworkers for help?"

"I called them, sure. I told them I was on death's door, but they were all like 'Congratulations' How's that make you feel?" 

I'm not surprised. Atsushi uncomfortably laughed 

"Jeez, anyone gifted with superpowers has something wrong with them inside."

Gifted, huh? Atsushi looks away with a sadder expression. "Dazai-san." Dazai looks at Atsushi. "Everyone at the Armed Detective Agency... the private investigators, that is, they're gifted, right?"

"Right, they're an armed force taking on antagonists the police don't stand a chance against." Taking on enemies that the police can't handle.

"Then I don't stand a chance at joining the agency." Atsushi's voice sadden

"You're gifted just fine."

"It's true that I somehow have the supernatural ability to turn into a tiger, but I have no control over it. I just transform without knowing. I can't make myself to transform into a tiger. So I don't think I'll be of any use, even if I join." Atsushi stands up and turns to Dazai "I appreciate the offer, though. I'm sorry."

"What's your plan, then?"

"I think I'll look for a job I can actually handle. Although I don't think it'll be an easy task."

"I have an idea for a potential job." Atsushi was surprised "I can help you get it if you'd like."

"Really?" Atsushi is excited. There's a job I can get! One day, I might be able to pay Dazai-san back. "Thank you so very much!" 

This poor boy doesn't know what's he's getting into. Thanks for reading!