Nightmare Part 14

Atsushi

Finally, an peaceful at the agency, after so long. They have recently finished taking Guild down, and they were exhausted. At least their motivation was back after solving a big case. 

"At-su-shi-kun!"

"Yes, Ranpo-san?" Atsushi turns towards Ranpo.

"Can you do this case for me?"

"U-uh, why should I?"

"I don't want to do it. IT'S BEST TO EAT MY BAKED DESSERT WHEN IT'S NICE AND WARM!"

Atsushi sighs, "Fine. Ranpo-san, where is this case located?"

"That's expected. There's no helping it." Tanizaki said. They were at the crime scene of the case that Ranpo didn't want to do.

"Let me see. The victim is a male around 20 years old. At 3 O'clock, he suddenly made a sharp turn and died in the crash. He died instantly, his face was severely damaged, so his identity is currently unknown." Just another day at the agency, nothing out of the ordinary. No organizations are going to destroy Yokohoma. 

The case was solved that day, only leaving the paperwork left to finish. They both go back to the agency to work on them.

"Atsushi-kun."

"Yes, Dazai-san?"

"What do you think of me?'

"Eeh?" You're my savior, father-ish figure, an idiot, and mostly a nuisance. "Um, annoying?"

"Wow, Atsushi-kun. Didn't think you had to guts to insult me. I'm hurt." Dazai clutches his hand over his chest as if he was in pain.

"Eh? I'm sorry, I didn't mean it! I really didn't, truly! Please forgive me! I'm sorry, Dazai-san!"

A small jingle of the bell can be heard as the door cracked opened. Atsushi and Dazai stop and shift their heads to see who has entered.

"Is Atsushi Nakajima here?" A tall, brown hair man walked into the agency. He was holding a bouquet of aloes and peonies with a few herbs here and there.

A shiver went up from his toes all the way to his head. The world swayed around Atsushi, it was dark. He felt heavy, wanting to lay down, but he couldn't move an inch. He couldn't say a word, no matter how much he wanted to scream and shout, he couldn't.

"You are here." He sighed with relief, "You don't need to speak, just listen."

I don't want to be here. I don't want him here.

"You want to speak to Atsushi?" Kyouka asked.

"Yes, I going to say what I want to say aloud right now if you don't mind. Are you listening, Atsushi?"

Atsushi barely nodded. No matter how much Atsushi wanted to run and leave, fear kept him in place. Dazai and Ranpo stared at this man, most likely knowing his history with Atsushi. Everyone else had a vague idea of who he was to Atsushi. Kyouka glared at him.

"Atsushi... I'm proud of you." He smiled. He wasn't lying, you could tell by the gaze in his eyes.

In Atsushi's head, the sound of glass shattering can be heard. Words that were never thought to be spoken from his mouth, came out. "No... No, no, no, no, this can't be true." He says, voice barely a murmur.

"Your life, your friends, coworkers, your actions, I'm proud of. You've grown to be a strong, kind, reliable person. I don't expect you to forgive me, and that's fine. I'll leave this over here. Thank you for listening now, excuse me, I need to get going now." He turns to leave the Agency.