Forty-Two: The Coyote Rivulet Contract

"M-Mr. Hale," I oppose as I divert my eyes once he stands up, "please, I don't think that's rational."

"Nonsense!" He heartily laughs as he slides a paper across the table for me to take. "And call me Saxton, Sheila."

Neuro adjusts her captain's hat and puts her finger to her chin. "Saxton, I think she's right. Yetis is one thing, but I really don't think you should challenge a chupacabra."

"It'll be another attraction at Mercenary Park since I'm startin' to run out of mercenaries," he furthers as he opens the door to his office. Neuro and I stand up and follow him out as he looks at both a woman and Sniper sitting on the chairs in the hallway outside. Sniper sits with his hat tilted over his face, and Neuro's teammate has her arms crossed as she watches us come out. "You find me one in the Bush, and I'll give ya more than enough of a reward."

"Saxton, chupacabras are in the Americas," I say. "And that's not even why we came to see you."

"Oh, right, work," he puts his hands on his hips. "Right, well, we've been having a bit of a serial killer issue."

Neuro pushes up her glasses. "Serial killer, you say?"

"Right here in the Outback. He's claimed ten people in the past four months, It's bad for bizzo, and we've been meaning to smoke the wanker on the barbie. Bag me the bloke, and then you'll get your pay."

"Can't you do that yourself?" Sniper snarkily asks. "You're out here wrestling pumas and 'roos, so I'd assume a measly little murderer would be a sunshine for you."

"I'm your boss, I get to tell you to do whatever I want ya to. And I want ya to go bag me a serial killer," he finalizes. "I have me a cryptid to find with Mags now that you birds mentioned it exists. Take guns while you're here to help you."

"No thanks," Sniper answers for us as he stands up and picks up his rifle. "But thanks for the offer, sir."

Saxton puts him into a chokehold and knocks his hat off to give him an aggressive noogie with a menacing smile. "I'd watch your wordage, ya cunt." He lets his go and adjusts his own hat. "Right-o, then. And then for my two birds, I want you two to go kill a bloke by the name of Charles Darling."

"Any reason?" The other woman asks.

"The fact that I hate him is for me to know and for you not to know," Saxton whispers, squinting his eyes. "I've gotta pack for 'Merica, now. Go out and do what I told ya. Chupacabras won't punch themselves. See yourselves out, Sheilas. Take a hat or two because I'm feeling quite generous."

"I think we're good, but thanks for the offer Saxton," Neuro declines. "It was nice meeting you again."

"See ya, drongos."

The four of us step into the elevator as Saxton waves to us and sees us off. The door closes, and the bell dings as we're now on our way down. I turn to the woman and hold out my hand. "Ah, hi, I'm Accomplice."

"Alpha," she responds while taking my hand with her leather gloves. She wears a jumpsuit and has a bandana tied around her neck, a whip on her belt in a coil like Engie's extension cord. "Accomplice is a new name."

"The team gave it to me, I'm not actually a mercenary. I'm more of a secretary for them, I just do the paperwork. You can call me Miss Fredrickson if you prefer."

"Oh my god, you're just Intern but you get paid," Alpha snickers. She might be older than me by a few years, I'm unsure. She's really pretty with blonde shoulder-length hair, and the three large scratch mark scars that reach her nose on the left side of her face make her look like a badass. Alpha seems like a friendly person, but we've only said, like, three things to each other so far, so that may change later on down the line. "Hey, you're a Crazy Mann Co. Bitch, aren't you?"