Two: Self-Loafing

My body shakes but just my shoulder at first which I brush off in the beginning. I hear mumbling and turn over, trying to go back to sleep. The sun isn't up yet, I know that for sure. Some footsteps enter and exit, and that's when I remember I'm not back home in the apartment I share with Miss Pauling. I sit up and look over to the door. Looking down, I realize I'm still in my clothes instead of pajamas. The sound of my feet hitting the floor prompts whoever was in here before to come back in, a stocky figure appearing in my doorway.

"Well, rise and shine Ma'am!" A sweet and smooth southern tone chimes, the honey of snark oozing off of every word.

I wave, pretty sure that I'm talking to Engineer. My eyes burn with the sand lodged near my tear ducts which reduces my ability to see clearly. "What... What time is it?"

"It is currently..." He pauses to check his watch I presume, "five hours and forty-five minutes into the morning."

"Oh, gosh," I whine, finally clearing my vision to be able to see him in my doorway. "I fell asleep last night, didn't I?"

"Yes'm," he confirms. "I suppose you were just overwhelmed with yesterday. Anyway, I came to wake you up before the mornin' rush; figured you'd want to clean up."

My brain isn't awake enough to comprehend what's happening. "Morning rush, what--?"

"Everyone starts waking up around six or so and then it's impossible to get in the bathroom without having to fight your way to it. Thought I'd be the one to let you know," he explains, crossing his arms while still idling in the doorway.

I still don't get it fully, but nod anyway. "Right, right. I'll uh-- Do that right now. Thanks."

He leaves, and I stand up with a yawn and a stretch to start my day. I rummage through my newly filled drawers for some underwear and consult my closet for a soft lilac polo shirt and a dark plum pair of pants. I carry my backpack with me, what with all of my toiletries being inside. Shoving a pair of black shoes and socks into my bag, I set off for the bathroom at the end of the hall. It's bright but also dark at the same time as if the lighting knows when day and night are. I pass by the blast door and catch a glimpse of the indigo sky with the promise of bright cerulean in the near future. I hear scampering behind me but no doors open. Must've come from within a room.

Upon arrival, the bathroom is locked. I knock a few times to inspect. The lock turns and the door creaks open, causing me to quickly avert my eyes to prevent from seeing something unholy.

"Quite sorry about that, forgot there was a Sheila here," Sniper apologizes but refrains from closing the door again. My gaze slowly careens over, and I let out a sigh of relief to see a towel wrapped tightly around his waist.

I take a few steps back and sheepishly laugh. "No no, you're fine. I completely forgot I was here when I- when I woke up, so... Haha, yeah--" I ramble, maintaining eye contact despite my desire to look away entirely.

"Did you want to use th--" He starts, pointing behind him.

"Oh gosh um-- just finish up, It's fine... I'll, I'll just wait..."

He lifts an eyebrow at me with a smile that has unknown intentions lying underneath; feeling like the one I brandish that is being forced out in discomfort. "You sure? I can just move my stuff and--"

"Please I insist, take your time." Words fly out of my mouth in a frantic attempt to end this interaction. My body wants me to just belt out into a full-on caterwaul to release this absolute nightmare of the first-hand embarrassment I am spoon-feeding myself, to expel it from the recesses of my mind. We've been standing here for too long. Please, for the love of God, go back into the bathroom Sniper, I would get on my knees if it wasn't attached with the risk of my seeing sights I'm not prepared to see.