Sixteen: Okay so Maybe Things Went a Little Sideways

I lift my head, a deafening ringing in my ears. Medic and Pyro run past me, the former yelling out something that is barely audible. My muscles ache, but I disregard it as I begin to crawl. I'm surrounded by a field of arson as the building has ceased to stand behind me. Panting, I strain to prop myself up on my hands and knees, groaning in agony from the shock of the explosion. I fall and roll over onto my back, staring up at the smoky night sky, an inferno blazing on all sides of me. I sit up, finding it easier to stay up this way, transitioning to my feet slowly.

Stumbling and fighting with my eardrums to keep my balance, I sweep my eyes to observe. Sniper aims his rifle and takes a shot at a runaway mercenary. I can't hear the gunshot, but I can feel the vibration of the sound in my chest. Pyro comes back to me and quells the flames with an airblast, pulling me along with him back to Medic. The German yells at me as he heals Soldier, and I can only look at him with slitted eyes. Soldier deems himself in good enough shape, Medic focusing his healing on me. My ears pop in an instant, and I'm met with a symphony of destruction, turmoil, and gunfire, a choir of despair-filled screams joining in. Turning, I see our guys defending against the never-ending waves of BLUs coming to take our heads.

"Oh my God," I pant, "how are we not dead?"

"Team Fortress staple," Medic calmly says. "Now isn't that the million Deutsche Mark question?"

Scout runs to us, frantic. "Guys, c'mon c'mon c'mon, you've gotta come with me, let's go, move it!" He insists. "We're loading into the vans right fucking now, we can't keep this up."

"Engineer has been taken!" Heavy yells to be heard over his barrage.

"Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck--" Scout bites on his knuckles. "Uhh, uhm, alright, uh-- Shit, I can't think."

I take a gander at our situation, rushing over to help Demo stand. He mutters nonsense as his head hangs. I pat his cheek a few times. "Demo? Hey, Demo."

"An' why dontcha- don- don-haaaaaah--" He passes out, and Pyro helps me lay him down on the ground.

He's in no shape to fight anymore, and I think Heavy might run out of firepower soon. He still has his physical strength, though. Sniper, Pyro, Medic, and Scout are all in good health, and I'd like to keep them that way. Soldier needs a break, he's had a rough few days. Where did- Where did Spy go?

Heavy's minigun slows down. I take charge, deciding that now is a good time to be reckless like the Miss Pauling in my head told me to be. "I am immensely disoriented and probably in shock at the moment, but I have a crap ton of adrenaline running through my system. I'm lead, we're doing this my way. Heavy and Pyro, you're going to come with me to go get Engie. The rest of you need to book it to the van, and I mean book it. There's no time for anything else. How many vans do we have?"

"Two," Spy manifests behind me. "There would be five to a vehicle if we were to split evenly. Our intelligence is secured for the time being."

"Spy, Sniper, Scout, Medic, Soldier, and Demo. There's six, get out of here."

"I'm going with you," Medic declares.

"I'm trying to have you guys leave as uninjured as possible, and you're literally the most important person right now, so I think not," I huff. "Any other objections?"

"Then I'll go," Sniper asserts.

"Fine. Come with me."

"Take good care of Sasha," Heavy confides in Medic to watch over his minigun.