Eliza Angers a Wind Spirit

"What kind of questions are these?" Leo complained as he scanned the worksheet. "I mean, 'name 3 sedimentary rocks that you observe.' Who knows that?"

Eliza quickly surveyed the canyon. "There, there, and there." The pointed out three layers of rock.

The boys stared at her disbelief.

"How do you know that?" Jason was trying very hard to keep his mouth from hanging open.

Eliza shrugged. "The Dark Canyon."

The boys watched her blankly.

"Best-selling mystery novel?" She tried. "Seriously, do boys even read?"

"How does that..." Leo couldn't form a coherent sentence.

Eliza sighed and rolled her eyes. "A detective teams up with a college professor to investigate the presumed murder of one of her students, who was found at the bottom of a canyon. In the end, it turns out to be a horrible accident. The bridge over the canyon was built on sedimentary rock. A truck driver ignored the weight limit and weakened the bridge. He made it across, but the bridge shifted, which threw the student over the side." She took a deep breath. "Sedimentary rock is made up of bits and pieces of other rocks fused together. It's the weakest type of stone. If you look closely, you can see the differences within those layers of rock." She indicated the sections of the wall she had previously identified.

Jason stared at her, wide-eyed. "What are you? Sherlock Holmes?"

Eliza tensed and whirled to face him. "I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you can't remember anything, but, if you mention that name in my presence again, I promise you you'll regret it." She turned back to the canyon.

Jason leaned in close to Leo. "Why can't we mention Sherlock Holmes?"

"I can still here you." She snapped, a tinge of threat in her voice.

They stood in awkward silence, until Jason cleared his throat. "I'll be right back." He walked off towards Coach Hedge.

Thunder cracked overhead in the abnormal storm that had settled directly above them.

"Woah." Eliza stared at the angry gray clouds.

"Everyone back inside!" Coach Hedge shouted over the rolling thunder.

Piper and her stupid partner - Dylan - held the doors to the museum as terrified kids stampeded inside. Leo, Jason, and Eliza took up the rear with Coach Hedge following on their heels.

Suddenly, the doors slammed shut, jerking Piper forward. The crowd of students pressed on them from the other side, but they didn't budge.

Piper's partner grinned triumphantly, his arrogance replaced with menace. He convulsed and changed forms, becoming a wispy white being.

Eliza skidded to a stop. "What the heck is that?!"

"A Ventus." Jason breathed.

"A what?" Leo stared at the creature that had once been Dylan.

"Wind Spirit." Coach Hedge clarified.

Eliza spun to face him. "You mean like in Greek Mythology. That's not possible. They don't exist."

A sharp gust of wind threw her backwards, sending her sliding across the catwalk. Her back slammed violently against the railing.

"Seems pretty real to me!" Leo's voice squeaked a little out of fear.

Jason rushed over to help her up, glaring at the windy monster. "I don't think it likes being called a myth."

Eliza cringed as she stood up. "Message received."

"Our mistress awaits you, Jason." The Ventus hissed.

Eliza met Jason's gaze. "Our?"

With a rush of wind, two more Venti shot from the storm clouds and flew towards the catwalk. One gusted Leo over the railing.

He barely managed to grab a ledge along the wall of the canyon before he fell.

Jason raced over to the opposite railing. "Leo!"

"I'm on it." Hedge unclamped his belt and dropped his pants, revealing a pair of wooly goat legs.

Eliza gaped at the sight. "You're a faun?"

He harrumphed. "Satyr, girl." He vaulted the railing and landed on what appeared to be a sheer rock face, but he maneuvered effortlessly down to Leo.

When Eliza turned back to the fight, her heart stopped. A massive bolt of lightening blasted towards Jason.

"No!" Her vision blurred with anger and tears. The next thing she knew, Jason lay charred and motionless on the catwalk and one of the Venti had disappeared. She darted over to Jason's side, but, as she reached him, he stirred. "No way." She breathed. He couldn't have survived that. Nevertheless, Jason rose to his feet.

Dylan's smug grin shattered into a glare. "How could you survive that?"

Jason examined himself in disbelief. One of his shoes had flown free of his foot.

Eliza jumped in front of him as Dylan looked ready to attack him again. "You'll have to go through me first."

A giddy smirk tugged at the corners of Dylan's mouth. "Gladly."

Rushing wind thrust her backwards and a funnel of swirling air spun wildly around her, sucking the oxygen from the air. She couldn't breathe. The air was too thin.

She held her throat like she was being choked. The air rushed from her lungs as the tornado spiraled around her. Black rimmed her vision and she dropped to her knees.

Then, as quickly as it had appeared, the tornado dispersed.

Eliza collapsed to the glass floor, barely conscious. She vaguely perceived Jason fighting the remaining Venti. Her vision dimmed and, finally, went black.
                                     *   *   *
"Eliza?" Jason shook her awake.

The Venti were gone, but so was Coach Hedge. Apparently, they had taken him. The glass catwalk was severely damaged and the students were still in the museum, gawking at them through the glass doors.

Finally, her gaze settled on a chariot, pulled by two Pegasi, parked haphazardly on the catwalk. A girl with a blonde ponytail stood watching them and a heavyset guy was tending to the winged horses, being unexpectedly gentle.

Jason helped Eliza to her feet and they walked over to the blonde girl.

Piper and Leo followed suit.

Soon, they all stood before the angry-looking girl. Eliza had a hard time hearing the conversation. The tornado had popped her ears and she hadn't quite popped them back yet.

The girl, who Eliza learned was named Annabeth Chase, said something about a guy wearing one shoe and a missing boy.

Finally, with a satisfying click, her ears reopened, letting all the sound in.

"Whose this missing half-blood?" Jason asked.

The boy holding the horses answered when Annabeth couldn't. "A guy named Percy Jackson, Annabeth's boyfriend."

Annabeth looked away. "Come on. We need to get back to camp." She and the boy hopped into the chariot. She eyed the four teens still standing in front of the Pegasi. "Well? Are you coming or not?"

Leo, Piper, Jason, and Eliza piled into the chariot and the boy flicked the reins, urging the horses to take off into the now clear sky.

A/N
First off, yes, my character as a personal vendetta against Sherlock Holmes. No, you will not get an explanation. 😈
I hope you enjoyed the chapter, I've already gotten a lot of support so, thank you all. 🥰
Until next time.
-Cheshire