Thalia the Mountain Guide

Eliza watched Jason an his sister, Thalia, talk near the back of the cave.

The girls, the Hunters of Artemis, had quickly set up camp and some were tending to Piper.

Jason and Leo sat with Thalia by the fire, talking about Jason's childhood, how he had tried to eat a stapler and their mom had given him to Lupa when he was two.

Eliza knew listening wasn't a good idea, that it could trigger more memories, but... she wanted to know Jason, even if she could never remember the time they spent together. Was it possible to do both?

As if answering her question, a memory flashed through her mind, an image of her watching two ten-year-olds race up a green hill with odd-looking buildings at the top. One was a blonde boy with sky blue eyes. The other was a girl with dark eyes and a black braid streaming behind her. The two were evenly matched in speed, but the boy tripped on a rut in the ground and face-planted a few feet shy of the hilltop.

The girl crested the hill and pumped her fist in the air. "The winner!"

Meanwhile, Eliza was rushing up the hill to where Jason still lay on the ground. She reached him, sliding the last few feet on her knees, and flipped him over.

His eyes were closed and dirt smeared his clothes and face.

"Reyna!" Eliza shouted up the hill.

The dark-haired girl half-slid down the slope to Jason's other side. She examined him concernedly. "Jason?" She shook his shoulders. "Jason!"

A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as he fought back laughter. His shoulders quivered from the effort. Finally, he cracked up, clutching his stomach as his laughter shook his whole body.

The girl, Reyna, punched his shoulder. "Not funny."

Eliza shoved him back onto the ground. "You scared us."

His laughter slowly subsided. "Sorry," he cleared his throat. "I couldn't resist."

Reyna elbowed him. "You'll never be a good soldier if you prank your superiors."

He eyed Reyna challengingly. "What makes you think you're my superior?"

"Well," Reyna offered him a hand up. "for starters, I'm more mature than you." She jabbed a quick punch into his side.

Jason flinched away. "Agh. Lighten up. It was just a joke."

Reyna leveled him with a stern gaze. "There's no joking on the battlefield."

"Reyna," Eliza's spoke up. "We're ten."

Reyna rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Whatever. Come on. We're gonna miss supper."

The three of them ran back down the hill towards a large building in the distance.

Eliza gasped as she snapped out of her memory. A chill ran down her spine. She was still in the cave. Thalia and Jason were still talking. Leo was still sitting there awkwardly. She hugged herself as a gust of wind stirred the air in the cave, temporarily disrupting the warmth.

Thalia sighed, drawing Eliza's attention. "Artemis sent us after Lycaon because she said it would lead us to our missing friend."

"Percy Jackson." Jason guessed.

Thalia nodded.

"Why does everyone care about him so much?" Eliza didn't realize she'd said it out loud until all eyes turned on her.

Thalia locked eyes with her. "He's a good friend... and a leader. He led all of us at Camp Half-blood and the Hunters of Artemis into the Titan War." She pushed a twig further onto the fire. "We would've lost if it weren't for him." She stoked the flames with her stick. "I have to find him. I owe him that much."

Just then, one of the hunters returned with news that they'd found Lycaon's trail.

Thalia stood and nodded. "Follow it. I'll catch up with you after I help my brother find Aeolus' fortress."

The hunter nodded and disappeared into the snow.
                                       *   *   *
Thalia led them across the mountain, stopping at the peak. "Here we are."

Before them, a thin bridge of ice or glass stretched from the mountaintop to a floating island.

"Let me guess." Eliza surmised. "The only way up is the glass bridge of doom."

"It should hold our weight as long as we only go one or two at a time." Thalia assured.

Jason nodded. "Piper, you and the coach go first. Leo and Eliza will follow after, then Thalia and I."

Piper looked reluctant, but nodded and started across the fragile path with Coach Hedge steadying her.

Eliza leaned close to Jason. "You know avoiding her won't help anything."

"What?!" He faced her. "I'm not avoiding Piper."

Eliza shrugged. "Could've fooled me and I'm remarkably observant." She sighed. "Look. It's clear that Piper blames herself for what happened to her dad. Now she's afraid she's going to lose you too. So do her favor and be there for her."

Before Jason could answer, Hedge called across the chasm to let the others know they'd made it.

Eliza faced the slim bridge and drew a long breath. Here went nothing. She inched out onto the bridge with Leo close behind.

The wind whipped passed them, tugging on their clothes and blowing Eliza's hair in her face.

About halfway across, Leo stopped, muttering something to himself.

Eliza finished the ascent and looked back. Jason had caught up to Leo, who was steaming where the snowflakes touched his body.

Suddenly, the boy burst into flames, sending a loud crack echoing off the mountains. The bridge began to melt.

"Move!" Jason shouted over the cracking ice.

Leo calmed down enough to quench his flaming body and start towards the floating mountain.

Jason looked back at Thalia, who still stood on the mountaintop below.

"Go!" She urged. "I'll take the Hunters to the Wolf House. We'll hold it until you arrive."

"But I don't know where it is!" Jason protested.

"Yes you do!" Thalia assured. "I'll see you again, Jason. Now go!"

Jason turned and raced after Leo, but they weren't going to make it.

Eliza lurched forward, but Coach Hedge grabbed her arm and held her back. She watched helplessly as the bridge crumbled out from under Leo's and Jason's feet.