Family in Atlanta

Eliza sat on her bed next to her pillow, leaning against the wall and staring at nothing. She hugged herself as her memories flooded her mind. A tear slipped down her cheek.

The door squeaked open and Jason stepped into the room. "We've reached Atlanta. Percy, Frank, and Hedge are going to talk to Phorcys."

Eliza didn't respond, eyes locked on the floor, examining every detail, every imperfection of the wood.

Jason sighed and sat down next to her on the bed. "What's wrong?"

She gave a soft scoff. "Do you really need to ask?"

He hung his head, probably remembering what the eidolon had made him do. "It's not just that, is it." He sighed when she didn't reply. "I know you too well, Liza. What's going on?"

She wouldn't look at him. "Can't you guess?" She forced herself to meet his gaze, fighting back her tears. "I thought you knew me too well."

"The legion." He reached out and wiped a rebellious tear from her cheek. "I thought it was getting better."

"It was." She seconded. "Until I left for six months and forgot who I was and found a place where they didn't treat me like hellhound crap." He voice broke over her words. "I thought you were the only person who would ever make me feel like I mattered... and then we end up at Camp Half-blood." She hung her head, a little ashamed. "Camp Jupiter never felt like home. I'd just accepted the fact that it was where I was supposed to be. I never thought I would actually find a home, but now, at Camp Half-blood..." she sighed. "I feel like I'm a traitor or something."

Jason squeezed her hand. "You're not a traitor for wanting to be treated well. To be honest, I've had mixed feelings about going back to Camp Jupiter too."

"You're a praetor." She observed.

"I know." He acknowledged. "Which is why, if either of us should feel guilty about this, it's me."

She met his gaze. "I guess neither of us are perfect soldiers."

He chuckled. "I could've told you that."

Her smile faded and she dropped her eyes to the bed.

Jason sighed again. "Liza, you have to stop blaming yourself for what happened."

"But it was MY fault." She snapped. "Jamie would still be here if I hadn't..." her voice broke. She squeezed her eyes shut and hugged herself tighter.

He grabbed her shoulders. "It was an accident."

"That's what makes it so much worse." She met his gaze, tears threatening to spill over. "I didn't want that to happen. I couldn't control it." Tears started to roll down her cheeks. "Who's to say it won't happen again? How many people will have to suffer the same fate?"

"Liza..."

"Don't." She shook free of his grip. "I don't deserve your pity."

He scooted closer. "Too bad."

She shot him an annoyed, almost angry look. "Why are you doing this? Why do you care about me?"

He thought for a moment, twining his fingers with hers. "Because, from what I can see, no one else does." He met her gaze. "Family sticks together, right?"

"But... we're not..." she protested.

Jason held up a hand to silence her. "First of all, our parents are Olympians." He chuckled. "Second of all, we grew up together; we fought side-by-side for years; we've faced titans and wars and monsters together. If that doesn't make us family, I don't know what does."

"Oh.. is that why you don't have a thing for Reyna?" Eliza tried to change the subject.

He cringed. "Kind of, but that's besides the point." He steered them back around. "What I'm trying to say is, you're like a sister to me; and I'll always be there for you."

Eliza hung her head. "Maybe you shouldn't be." She took a deep breath and forced herself to meet his gaze. "I don't want you to be my next victim."

He squeezed her hand. "I won't be, because you  won't have any."

"That's an awfully big promise you're making in my stead." She pulled her hand free of his. "I can't keep it."

He stared intently into her gaze. "Yes you can. I believe in you."

Her chest tightened. "Well that makes one of us."
                                    *   *   *
The ground was layered in the fragile white flakes, making the area look like a winter wonderland, but the trees still splayed their striking green foliage and the drifting specks felt warm against her skin. This wasn't snow.

She turned to find a wall of fire burning across the world, decimating everything.

Massive plumes of smoke filled the air. The raging flames sucked the oxygen from air, growing wilder. The ash rained down in torrents, smoldering as they hit the ground.

A line of the Prophecy of Seven forced itself to the forefront of her mind, a whisper of doubt. To storm or fire the world must fall.

"You didn't think about that, did you." Gaia's voice followed the haunting line. "Are you certain you're on the right side?" The goddess's sleepy voice paralyzed her. "Are you sure I'm the one who will destroy the world?"

Her chest tightened, pressing in on her lungs and heart. She struggled to breathe as her heart beat out of her chest.

"I am not the bad guy. I am not your enemy." The goddess whispered in her ear. "They are."

A tear slipped down her face as two voices warred in her mind. Her fists clenched, shaking as she struggled against the earth mother.

"No!" She dropped to her knees, breathing hard. "You're wrong. They are the only people who have ever cared about me. And you..." She rose to her feet, fists clenched, ground cracking beneath her feet. "You're the liar. You're the villain. And I will never stop fighting."

Gaia sighed. "That is a decision you will regret."

"I'll take my chances." A vine burst from the ashy ground and impaled the darkness.

Eliza jolted awake, her lungs burning. She turned to look out the window. Gaia still wanted her.

A/N
Hey guys! I'm back.
I've been pretty busy this week helping my uncle get ready to stain his house, so... sorry.
Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter. I might be spotty through the rest of this week. Apologies in advance.
Until next time.
-Cheshire