A Hike Up Mt. Diablo

Eliza stretched as she walked out of the store, wearing a new pair of loose-fitting grey cargo pants and a black shirt with a white magnifying glass on it. The hiking boots Aphrodite had given her were the only practical part of the entire outfit. She kept the leather jacket because it was chilly and she'd run out of money. Hopefully, they didn't run into an emergency that required cash.

Piper stood with the boys next to the street waiting with a yellow cab.

Eliza grinned. "I see we're riding in style."

Piper rolled her eyes. "Just get in the car. We've wasted enough time shopping."

Eliza held out her hands. "Yes ma'am."
* * *
Eliza rode squished between the boys in the backseat of the cab. It was not made for four people.

The driver sped towards Mt. Diablo, more than happy to give four strange teenagers a ride after a little nudge from Piper's charmspeak. They were about halfway up the mountain when the car lurched to a stop.

They piled out of the vehicle and found all four wheels half-sunken into the earth. They met each other's gazes.

"Looks like we're walking." Eliza observed.

"Yeah." Leo just stared in horrific wonder at the half-buried tires.

Piper talked to the driver and soon he was racing back down the mountain, out of danger. She nodded to the others and they started on foot up the mountain.
                                   *   *   *
They crouched behind a ledge of rock just below the peak of the mountain. Piper's father hung opposite them, strung up by his wrists to a tree. The giant - Enceladus - knelt by a massive fire, his scaly dragon legs hunched and bulging with muscle, his dreadlocks trailing down his bare back.

Eliza dropped out of sight as the giant turned his head. "There's no way we're getting to your dad without going through Enceladus."

"Even those chances are slim." Jason added.

Leo pulled his sinking foot free of the earth and readjusted his stance. "We'll need a distraction."

Eliza smirked. "Good. You're great at those."

Leo's face went pale. "I'm not doing that by myself."

Jason grabbed his shoulder. "You won't." He shot Eliza a fierce look. "The only person who needs to get passed him is Piper. The rest of us will draw his attention."

"Sounds great." Hedge pounded his fist into his palm. "I'm in."

Leo slid his feet to avoid the grasping dirt. "As long as I'm not going out there solo."

Jason met Eliza's gaze.

She locked eyes with him - a boy she knew better than anyone, a boy she'd followed into battle countless times. "What kind of a protector would I be if I sat this one out?"

A grin spread across his face. "Then let's do this."

On three, everyone except Piper jumped out of hiding and marched towards the giant.

"Hey Pea Brain!" Eliza stood confidently before the gargantuan monster as the boys circled around on either side. She glared straight into the giant's blazing eyes.

The giant rose to his full height and glowered down at her. "Who dares hurl such insults? I am the bane of Athena. I will not be degraded."

Eliza smirked at the raging giant. "I'm starting to see why the gods won the last Giant War. You're such simple creatures."

Enceladus quivered with anger. "You will pay for your arrogance with your life, little hero."

Eliza eyes flashed with anger. No one called her "little" and got away with it. She was well aware of her small stature. She didn't need the hurtful reminder. "Why don't you come and find out, you dolt?"

He took a pounding step forward.

Eliza's grin widened as Leo reached a line of construction equipment.

Enceladus growled. "What are you so happy about?"

"Oh nothing." She replied with mock sweetness. "You're just proving my point."

A bulldozer plowed into the giant from the left, shoving Enceladus towards the edge of the mountain.

The giant regained his composure and forced the bulldozer to a halt. He kicked it aside and it rolled itself over the edge. He seethed, touching his lips with the back of his hand to check for blood.

"If you think you could trick me with a cheap distraction, you're sorely mistaken, Miss McLean." He turned to face his prisoner.

Piper had just loosed her father's bonds and was cradling him in her arms.

As the giant started towards the McLeans, a massive bolt of lightening erupted from the sky and struck Enceladus in the chest.

Jason held his coin-javelin aloft and charged the giant.

A/N
Sorry. It's a little shorter, but I found this was a good place to stop. Hope you enjoyed it. 😁
We're almost through book one. *Heaves long breath*
Thank you all for the support. I appreciate all of you and I'm so glad you are enjoying this story.
-Cheshire