Wolves and Hunters

Eliza couldn't feel her body, everything was dark. All she could hear were her racing, swirling thoughts. She'd been turned to gold, but she was still conscious. A prison. The worst possible cage for an ADHD girl who had a tendency to overthink things. There was nothing to distract her from the fears, doubts, questions, and theories running rampant through her mind. Who could her godly parent be? What did Gaia want with her? What would happen to her home if she resisted? What would happen to Jason?

She was only just piecing things together, she couldn't lose it. She couldn't lose him. Her thoughts screeched to a halt. But maybe she had to. Gaia said she couldn't use her until she knew who she was. Getting her memories back was a big part of that. If her body had been working, she would've teared up. She couldn't get her memories. She couldn't give Gaia the opportunity to use her.

As much as she wanted to remember, she couldn't. It was the only way to protect everyone from her. She had to stay oblivious - a husk of herself.

Suddenly, something cold splashed against her chest.

At first, she ignored it, then she realized... she could feel her chest again.

The cold droplets spread, scattering across her golden form. The stiffness in her limbs began to fade. Her vision slowly returned and, with a gasp for breath, she stumbled backwards into someone's arms.

Rain poured through a massive hole in Midas' ceiling. The king's son had been reduced to a golden statue and Midas was too distracted to pay them any attention.

Eliza looked up and back to find Jason supporting her from behind. Steadying herself, she stood and turned, ignoring the ache and shakiness of her legs. She looked up into the downpour, blinking rapidly to keep the water out of her eyes.

Meeting Jason's gaze, she sighed. "Why is it that every time we meet a dead person, I get soaked?"

He chuckled and threw his arms around her. "I'm glad you're okay."

Eliza pulled away. "Leo and Piper?"

She and Jason turned to find the others quickly returning to normal.

Leo managed to stay on his feet. He was a little disoriented but fine.

Piper, on the other hand, collapsed into Jason's arms, unconscious.

Jason was trying to shake her awake when Coach Hedge barged in and ushered them out of the ruined mansion towards the river.
                                       *   *   *
Eliza sat at the back of the small cave, facing the wall while the others tended to Piper. Leo was balled up next to the fire, struggling to get warm. Jason knelt beside Piper, holding her hand.

Eliza glanced over her shoulder at her friends. They were all worried about Piper. She was invisible. Turning back to the stone wall, she stared at the cracks and grooves in the sheer rock. She flexed her fingers, the stiff feeling of the gold still buzzing under her skin. Maybe it would've been better if she'd stayed a statue. She couldn't hurt anyone that way.

Someone touched her shoulder, making her flinch.

Jason sat down next to her. "You're unusually quiet."

She met his gaze a bit annoyedly. "I just spent the afternoon as a golden statue. What'd you expect?"

He shrugged "I think it's more than that." He leaned forward to better see her face. "You were acting strange before Midas turned you to gold. What's going on?"

Eliza looked away. How could she explain this to him?

"Is it about your memories?" He urged.

She refused to look at him as she nodded.

He sighed. "We will beat this. We'll get them back." He moved to hug her, but she lurched away from him.

"No." She finally faced him. "Don't you get it? That's what she wants. She wants me to remember."

Jason was taken aback. "Who? Juno?"

"No." Eliza snapped. "Gaia." She drew her knees close to her chest. "She wants me. She needs me to get my memories back so she can use me."

Jason stared into her golden brown eyes, the color of ripened wheat. "We won't let that happen. We'll beat her."

"How do you know that?!" Her voice echoed through the small space. "If she wants to use me, what makes you think you can stop her?"

Jason glanced at the others. Leo and Hedge were watching them. He sighed. "I know, because we'll do it together and we're too stubborn to give up." He placed a hand on her shoulder. "You're stronger than her."

She locked eyes with him, her eyes watery. "No, I'm not."

Jason opened his mouth to speak, but something howled outside.

They all turned towards the noise. Snow blew wildly beyond the cave, but it hadn't been the wind.

Fuzzy silhouettes appeared among the swirling snow, black smudges against the white-out. The shadows shifted and grew as they approached.

Eliza stood, eyeing the silhouettes. Most of them were obviously some kind of animal, based on the howling probably wolves. One of them stood upright, like a man.

Soon, her suspicions were confirmed as a man emerged from the storm, followed by a pack of wolves.

The man smiled wolfishly. "There you are." He eyed Jason with particular interest.

Eliza clenched and unclenched her fists. She was unarmed, but not defenseless. All her training was coming back to her, though she didn't know how much good it would do against werewolves.

Jason stepped in front of them, coin poised to flip. He glared at the man, the alpha of the pack.

The man flashed a wicked grin, showing his pointed fangs.

Before anyone could react, an arrow shot out of the storm and pierced one of the wolves in the neck. It whimpered and stumbled back into the white-out.

The pack turned on the storm.

A spray of arrows showered the wolves and chased them away.

More silhouettes appeared in the snow, but they weren't wolves. A group of girls with bows and arrows morphed out of the storm.

The leader - a girl with short black hair and a silver circlet - studied the half-bloods huddled in the cave. She froze. "Jason?"

A/N
Hey all! Sorry for not updating yesterday. I had to work from 11-4 and then my family decided to go out for supper and when we finally got home, I had no motivation. 😞
Hope you enjoyed.
-Cheshire