An Awkward Homecoming

Annabeth poked her head through the door. "We're nearing L.A."

"Let me guess." Eliza didn't look up from her mystery novel, which she was reading crosslegged on her bed. "You drew the short straw to tell me?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Would it really surprise you if I said I volunteered?"

Eliza looked up. "Yep." She said frankly, returning her gaze to her book.

Annabeth sighed. "I take it that means you're not excited to see Camp Jupiter again."

"That obvious, huh?" Eliza met Annabeth's gaze.

Annabeth studied her. "Why not? It's your home, isn't it?"

Eliza scoffed. "It may be the place I was raised, but it's not my home." She closed her book around her finger, to save her spot. "I don't have one."

Annabeth sat on the edge of the bed as if urging her to continue.

Eliza leveled her with an annoyed glare, but the daughter of Athena didn't budge. She sighed in exasperation. "Look. My mother is a goddess who was forced to give birth to me five months early so I wouldn't be dragged into the Underworld and my father never had the guts to show up." She slammed her book down on her nightstand. "I'm just the freakish little pipsqueak who was abandoned before she was born. My mother never even held me. She just pawned me off on the doctors and left." She pushed herself to her feet and stalked to the little round window.

Annabeth released a long breath behind Eliza as she stood up. "Your mother probably didn't hold you because she knew, if she did, she couldn't let you go, but she had to, to save you." She placed a hand on Eliza's shoulder.

"I can see it!" The faint shout sounded from above deck.

Annabeth managed a sad smile. "I should get up there. You can join us when you're ready."

Eliza nodded, still staring out at the landscape rushing by below.
                                    *   *   *
Ali walked towards the square with Percy. "So," She elbowed him in the ribs. "Ready to see her?" 

He chuckled and dropped his gaze to the pavement, before looking up at the Greek trireme hovering over New Rome "Yeah."

Ali took a deep breath. "Me too. Let's just say an Iris Message will never amount to a face-to-face conversation."

He smiled. "Agreed."

Ali felt a grin spread across her face. She couldn't help it, not when she was with him. She glanced over her shoulder and noticed Frank and Hazel trailing behind them, hand-in-hand. She felt a tug in her heart. She'd never be able to have that with someone.

Percy slipped his hand in hers. "Ali? What's wrong?"

She faced him and instantly regretted it. His deep green eyes were filled with concern as he studied her, a slim crease between his eyebrows.

Ali pulled her tingling hand free of his. "I'm fine." She turned her gaze to the flying trireme. "Go on." She barely managed to meet his gaze. "She's waiting."

He pulled her into a tight hug. "Don't wait up."

She pulled back. "Never." She watched him go, her heart twisting in her chest. Why did she keep hurting herself?
                                      *   *   *
Eliza hesitated before starting down the ladder. The rope ladder swayed in the light breeze, blowing her red-tipped hair in her face. She stepped off onto the cobbled street and turned to face the gawking Roman legion.

Most of them were staring at Jason in his orange Camp Half-blood t-shirt.

One of the campers spotted Eliza and his features instantly twisted into a sneer. "Looks like the Angel of Death is back."

Eliza narrowed her eyes at the boy as more eyes focused on her, many of them glaring. A few of them looked scared.

Jason stepped in front of her, protectively.

Eliza could already feel tears welling up in her eyes, but she would never let them spill over. She would never give them the satisfaction.

By now, the entire crowd was muttering. Eliza caught bits and pieces of rumors and stories being spread among the campers.

Jason reached back and grabbed her hand. "You got a problem with her, you can take it up with me."

The legion fell silent, parting as a dark-haired girl in a white toga approached - Reyna.

"You're back." She stopped a few feet in front of them. "I wasn't sure I'd see either of you again." She flashed Eliza with a small smile. She was the only person at Camp Jupiter who was even remotely nice to her, besides Jason of course.

Eliza smirked. "Nice to know you have so much faith in us."

Reyna rolled her eyes.

Just then, a boy with shaggy black hair and sea green eyes pushed through the crowd. He wore a toga over a purple shirt and jeans. A wide grin spread across his face as he laid eyes on Annabeth.

When her eyes finally found his, she teared up immediately. "Percy!" She ran to him and threw her arms around him.

Percy lifted her off the ground and spun in a circle. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her.

Eliza leaned over to Jason. "I'm glad you and Piper aren't like that."

She chuckled as he elbowed her in the ribs. "Cut 'em some slack. They've been separated for months."

"Neither have you and Reyna." She teased.

He shot her an annoyed look. "That's different."

She gave him a knowing look. "Right."

He rolled his eyes. "Come on. Let's go eat." He wrapped an arm around Piper's shoulders and pushed Eliza forward.

She glared offendedly over her shoulder, but kept walking. As they reached the pavilion, where the campers were setting up tables and chairs, she noticed a girl with long, braided, black hair staring at them with her piercing silver-blue eyes.