To Defeat a Giant

Eliza turned just as Enceladus smacked Jason aside. "No!" She grabbed a broken pipe off the ground and lunged at the giant.

The metal tube sank into his arm almost to her hand.

Enceladus let loose an Earth-shaking bellow and grabbed Eliza with his free hand. Ichor soaked his palm, seeping through Eliza's clothes as she struggled against his grip. His fingers wrapped completely around her slender body, pinning her right arm to her side.

Eliza pounded her fist against the giant's slimy, blood-covered wrist. She glared into his piercing eyes.

He smirked and squeezed his fist tighter.

The air rushed out of Eliza's lungs as her ribs creaked. She hunched over his hand, struggling to breathe. Releasing a strangled scream, she felt a tug in her gut and Enceladus dropped her, shaking his hand like he had been stabbed in the palm.

Jason caught Eliza in midair and lowered her to the ground.

A chorus of roars erupted along the tree line. A squad of monsters with six arms and thick muddy skin rose from the earth and snarled at Piper and Leo.

Jason gripped his javelin tighter and drew a knife he'd gotten from Aphrodite. He handed it to Eliza. "Help them. I'll distract Pea Brain over there."

Eliza met his gaze. No way could he beat that giant by himself, but the others needed her more right now.

She nodded and accepted the weapon. "I'll be back to help you as soon as I can."

Jason nodded and turned back on the giant.

Eliza charged towards the muddy monstrosities. She slid between one's legs, slicing it across the calf.

It roared and turned on her, six thick hands raised above its head.

She dove out of the way as it slammed the ground where she had been standing, but the force shook the earth, knocking her off balance.

Taking advantage, the earthy creature - called an Earthborn - smacked her with a heavy backhand.

Eliza flew backwards into a thick tree. She crumpled to the ground, pain shooting through her body. Her spine ached and her limbs tingled. She groaned as she rose to her knees, pushing her red-tipped hair out of her face. Her grip tightened on Jason's dagger, enhancing the buzz in her fingers.

The Earthborn had turned aside, probably thinking she was down for the count.

She took a deep breath to calm her nerves and rushed forward, knife poised for attack. She jumped and drove her blade into its back. She squeezed the hilt tighter as the monster bucked and turned, struggling to throw her from its back. Eliza ripped a twig from its muddy body and used it to jab higher on the Earthborn's back.

Using the stick and her knife, she scaled the the creatures body and sat on its beefy shoulder. "Hey!" She drew its attention. "Tell your mistress I'm not interested." She stabbed her knife deep into the monsters eye socket, sinking the blade to the hilt as the Earthborn roared and convulsed, finally exploding in a shower of mud.

Eliza landed, plopping into a knee deep pile of muck.

The mud clung to her arms and legs as she tried to stand, pulling her leather jacket off her arms.

She fought against the brown sticky goop. She tried to wipe it out of her eyes, but only succeeded in smearing it across her face.

Suddenly, a blast of thunder ripped across the mountain. Static buzzed through the mud, making the hairs on Eliza's arms stand on end.

Then, someone gripped her now bare arms and pulled her out of the mud.

Jason used his jacket to clean the mud off Eliza's face so she could see. "Looks like you had fun."

She examined his slightly singed clothes and smiled. "So do you."

He chuckled. "So much for new clothes."

Eliza could feel mud squishing in her boots. "Yeah." Her pants were caked in mud and her jacket had sunk into the brown muck, nowhere to be found. She hugged her arms tight around herself to keep warm.

Leo, Piper, and Coach Hedge had congregated by Tristan McLean, Piper's dad. Apparently, he was some kind of movie star, but Eliza didn't really watch movies, so... that didn't mean anything to her.

Jason led her over to the others. "We gotta get to the Wolf House. We're running out of time."

"Okay." Leo agreed. "But how?"

As if on cue, a rescue helicopter flew into view, checking the commotion they had no doubt caused.

With a bit of charmspeak, Piper convinced the pilot to fly them to where her dad's private jet was parked. She gave her dad a potion to take his memories and they loaded him on the plane, with Coach Hedge to take care of him.

Then, they ditched the pilot and took off with Leo flying the helicopter.

Jason had remembered where the Wolf House was and guided Leo to a clearing a few yards away.

They landed in the snow and Eliza immediately missed her leather jacket. She forced herself not to shiver though. Jason had enough on his plate without having to worry about her being cold.

They raced through the snowy forest, the place looking unnervingly like the woods from Eliza's dreams. As they drew nearer to the ruinous house, the wind picked up, growing colder. They all skidded to a stop at the edge of the clearing.

It was hard to make out exactly what was happening with the swirling snow obscuring their vision, but the clash of sword and the twang of bowstrings rang through the storm.

Eliza met Jason's gaze and nodded curtly.

Leo and Piper both steeled themselves and readied for an attack.

Jason clenched and unclenched his fists and led the charge into the raging flurries.

A/N
Well, I'd say we have one or two chapters left before we finish Lost Hero. *exasperated exhale*
That took me longer than I thought it would.
I hope you're all enjoying my story. I appreciate all the support. 🥰
-Cheshire