Chapter eighteen: Barking mad

AN: I'm back. Expect more updates very soon, I fully intent to finish this fic! Thank you for the comments, otherwise I may have abandoned this fic forever.

"Really?"

"You're kidding!"

"No way!"

"No I'm not, it's true!" said Henry, grinning as he walked with his friends back to their common room.

"But first years never make the team!" Pansy exclaimed.

"Aren't you a bit short to be playing the position of keeper?" asked Blaise.

"Snape says that my 'skills' should make up for that. Flint wants me to play in position of chaser and have one of the current chasers be keeper. But who cares?! I'm on the team either way!" Harry grinned wider.

This was great! Snape had told him to write to his Mum and ask her to send him his broom so he could start training as soon as possible. Harry knew she wasn't in love with the idea of him flying, but surely she wouldn't say no.

"Oh no!" Theo suddenly stopped, everyone else stopped and turned to look at him. "I've left my potions homework in the library."

"Are you joking?" Harry groaned.

Theo shook his head and smiled sheepishly.

"Can you come with me?" Theo asked.

"Why can't you go on your own?" asked Pansy in a kind, yet curious tone.

Theo continued his grin. "I feel safer going with at least one other person. It makes me feel confident. If I'm on my own surrounded by people I feel kind of...exposed?" he explained.

"Come on then, let's-" Harry was cut off by the staircase they were on began to move.

They all yelped in surprise and grabbed onto a rail as the staircase came to a halt at an ominous looking door.

"Let's go this way," Pansy pointed at the door and made her way towards it.

"Are you sure? Where does this even lead?" asked Draco.

Pansy turned to the boys and rolled her eyes. "How bad can it be? It's a hallway!" With that, Pansy opened the door and walked inside.

The four boys looked at each other in shock and ran after her.

"Pansy wait-!" Blaise began but was cut off as he nearly collided with Pansy, who had stopped in her tracks.

Harry bumped into Draco, as he opened his mouth to apologise, his jaw fell open.

The whole hall was full of dusty gargoyles and webs. The torches closest to them lit as they entered, but did little to brighten the dark hall. Harry felt rather small as he gazed around the room, which gave him an anxious feeling at the pit of his stomach.

"Are we allowed to be here?" asked Draco.

Harry then noticed that he was still pressed against Draco ad quickly stepped away with an apology, which Draco waved off.

"I don't think so..." answered Theo as he bit his lip. "I think this might be the third floor...the one we're banned from."

They all shared a look of dread.

"Let's go," said Harry, to which everyone nodded.

But, as they turned around, they came face to face with the yellow eyes of Mrs Norris. Everyone knew that wherever she went, Filch was close by.

"Run!" Draco exclaimed, grabbing the sleeves of those closest to him (Harry and Blaise) and running off to the end of the hallway, Theo and Pansy closely following.