Chapter nineteen: Family Night

AN: I don't own Harry Potter. Enjoy. 

Harry sighed as he walked to the part of the castle in which his so-called "parents" stay. This was going to be a nightmare.

He'd only lived with these people for five years. Four of those years had been horrible. But the first one? Sometimes he wondered what the first year had been like?

From what he had heard, Colin had always been favored, but it was a lot more equal than it had been after That Night. Would life be better if That Night never happened?

No. Without all of that, he'd have never met Allyssa. He'd never have grown up in Yorkshire with all his muggle friends. Never would have felt so normal. Never would have known proper love. Have the full attention of someone. He'd always have been second place.

In a way, That Night had saved his life!

Finally, he finished climbing the stairs to the portrait. The portrait had a centaur, tall and grand, standing guard with a stern stony face.

"Hallows' eve," he mumbled. James had told him the directions and password in class.

The creature smiled as the door swung open.

Here we go. Finally. After so long, this is happening.

"Harry," Lily greeted as Harry walked in.

The room was huge. The walls a calm shade of red, furniture was dark, a lot of varnished wood with brown and black sofas and carpets. Facing Harry was a roaring fireplace, fire high and hot. On a sofa facing the fire was the three Potters.

Harry gave a quick thought about why Colin was even there. The letter had said that he would not be here. Liars as usual. It didn't really surprise him. 

They were all sat on a black leather sofa, all turned around to look at him. James and Lily had a mix of relief and interest on their faces. Colin had a sulky look to him, annoyed that all the attention was not on him, but his eyes held a similar look of interest.

"Should you be talking to me without my Mum's permission?" Harry asked, childish, of course, but he was also a bit serious.

Lily turned away, Harry wondered if she was annoyed or angry. Probably both.

"Sit down, Harry," said James, turning around to face an armchair on the left, closest to James.

Harry rolled his eyes but walked to the chair and sat down with a slight huff.

Colin slouched back with his arms folded, clearly trying to show his parents that he was annoyed and wanted someone to talk to him, if his parents noticed, they ignored him. All eyes were on Harry, and Harry wasn't sure how to feel about it. He secretly wished his Mum was here.

"So...Harry," James began. "How has your time here been so far?"

This was so weird.

Harry stared at him for a second. "Fine."

"Got a favourite subject yet?"

Yes. Harry loved Defence Against the Dark Arts and his flying lessons. Quirrell was a terrible teacher, he seemed to be scared of everything, but the books were interesting, and his Mum had already taught him loads so he was happy to relearn and read ahead. And any excuse to fly was great.

But Harry just shrugged.

James faltered for a second, then smiled. "I heard Snape wants you on the Quidditch team?"

Harry just stared.

"Apparently he wanted you to be a keeper? They've been looking for one since the beginning of term. Their last one left last year. But I talked to him. You're playing seeker."