Chapter thirteen: Front page news

The next day passed. Harry found that Charms was just as easy as his Transfiguration class had been. He allowed himself to use his full talent and perform the spell they were meant to be learning within the first ten seconds. He couldn't help himself. Plus Colin's envious face had been worth it.

But History of Magic was boring. Very, very boring.

Allyssa had loved to tell Harry all about the history of magic. She told him many stories about Merlin, the four founders of Hogwarts, and many other great wizards and witches. And Harry loved to listen.

But Professor Binns didn't have the same talent that Allyssa had for interesting people with history. He kept going on and on and on about dates and even got names muddled up. Harry found himself falling asleep on his desk.

The best part of the lesson was learning that he was allowed to leave.

Harry was sat in the Great Hall eating breakfast with the rest of the group, talking about their upcoming potions lesson.

"So," said Pansy. "Do you think potions will be as bad as everyone keeps saying?"

"No, Snape is a good teacher," Draco answered.

Theo leaned forward eagerly. "I heard from Seamus in Gryffindor that he took away thirty-five points away in the first ten minutes of a class!"

"Really!?" Harry asked.

He hadn't really been feeling nervous about potions class. Potions had always been a favourite of his, something he had in common with his Mum, and he had felt prepared. But, after hearing all the rumours about Snape, he was convinced that the moment he walked through that classroom door he would forget everything.

"Don't worry, Harry. Take it from me, it'll be fine. Trust me," said Draco.

Harry didn't have time to answer before the noise of what must have been hundreds of owls came flooding into the hall. Everyone looked up in delight as the owls circled overhead, searching for their wizard or witch.

Harry smiled as he saw Hedwig among the owl. She dropped the letter into his awaiting hands. Harry tore it open as Hedwig landed perfectly on the table and began to pick at his cereal happily.

Dear Harry

Congratulations on your sorting!

Don't worry about me, Big Sam, and Samson, we're okay. I'm currently staying with Erin in Istanbul. You'd love it, it's very exciting. But nowhere near as exciting as Hogwarts! I'm happy you've met up with your best friend again, I hope you're all fitting in well. I know how hard it can be, but if anyone can do it, you can!

About the question you had about showing off your talent: Do you remember that comic the James brothers are obsessed with? I'm sure you remember that in the comic the hero pulls his punches when fighting so he isn't using his full strength. This is because he knows that if he doesn't then he would fatally hurt his opponent, giving him an unfair advantage. That is strength that shouldn't be used at full potential. Harry, whatever power you have, use it. You have earned that right after after everything. My only advice is to let your results do the talking, not your mouth. That's all you need to do. 

Write to me when you have the chance. And let me know if you need anything, such as clothes, books, or anything else you need.

Keep safe,

Your Mum, Allyssa

PS: Erin says "Hello".

Harry smiled, feeling a lot more confident. He looked up after reading the letter, all of his friends had letters too.