Chapter one: That Night

Disclaimer: I (obviously) don't own Harry Potter.

On the 31st July, James and Lily Potter were blessed with twins. Boys.

Colin Evan Potter was born at 11:42 PM, the eldest of the pair. A chubby wailing baby with a scrap of red hair with a set of hazel eyes. His parents' new pride and joy.

Harry James Potter was born at 11:59 PM. He was small and rather delicate with jet black hair with the most elegant emerald eyes anyone could find.

The couple adored their sons, and so did their friends. Remus and Peter were made Colin's godfathers and Sirius and a reluctant Snape were made Harry's. Both boys were treated like princes. Although, they were never spoilt rotten.

The couple loved both their sons. But most of their attention gravitated unintentionally to Colin.

Colin was an active kid, bubbly and funny. He was, however, an attention seeker and would wail and bawl if some left him for Harry.

Harry was a calm baby. His favourite past time was to sit and take in the world around him.

Colin wasn't an ugly child. But his hair never shone in the way Lily's did and his eyes seemed bare, like he didn't care about anything.

Harry's eyes glowed with childhood wonder and his black hair set off his looks perfectly. He was his father's mini-me, but he had his other's eyes. He was a (give or take) happy boy.

Until that night when the twins were only a year and three months old.

*

Dumbledore had told both the Longbottom family and the Potters about Voldemort's plan to hunt them down and kill them.

And, very wisely, both families went into hiding.

James and Lily were convinced by Sirius to make Peter their secret keeper. They agreed. They trusted Peter and believed he was a good man behind his weak nature.

They trusted him so much that they left Harry and Colin with Peter on Halloween so they could go and talk to Dumbledore.

A little over an hour passed since the Potter's left. Everything was calm and the twins were in bed. Nothing seemed wrong. Until....

"They are in the bedroom on the left my Lord" Peter told his Master while opening the door with a bow.

"Show me" The dark lord commanded with a hiss as he locked the door with a flick of his wand.

Pettigrew shivered in fear, but guided Voldemort to the room. With each step Peter could hear Voldemort's cold, dark frame right behind him. Every second went by slowly and he nearly sighed with relief when they reached the room.

"Here, my-"

Voldemort stunned him out of the way, opened the door impatiently and paced inside.

Inside the bedroom was walls painted blue with childish drawings of teddy bears, rainbows and flowers. There were some shelves with toys and cars and a toy box and a large wooden cupboard was in the corner. But Voldemort wasn't interested in any of that.

He was more interested in the two cribs by the back wall of the room. Each held one of the twins.

Voldemort grinned. This was too easy.

He walked over to the first crib. It was brown and inside a chubby red haired boy was asleep. Oblivious.

Voldemort felt little talent from this child. He was barely a wizard. He would never stand a chance against Pettigrew, never mind the dark lord himself!

So Voldemort walked over to the other crib, it was green. Inside was a small green eyed boy. The boy stood up, holding onto the bars, and gazed up at the dark lord. Not in fear, in fascination. The talent radiating from this boy was intoxicating. This was the chosen one.

Voldemort raised his hand, wand grasped tightly, pointing it at the younger Potter's face.

Harry didn't cry. He didn't even flinch. He just stared at the thing before him in wonder.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"

*

"Professor!"

Dumbledore looked up as the Potters ran into his office, Peter Pettigrew in tow. Lily was carrying Colin, while Peter had Harry.

"Last night, while Lily and I were here, the dark lord broke into our house stunned Wormtail and went into the twins' room and did the-"

"James" Dumbledore urged, "slow down. Voldemort was at your home last night?" he asked calmly.

"Yes" Lily covered her mouth, she was clearly in shock as she held Colin closer to her. James continued, with his arm around her. "We arrived and heard his voice scream the killing curse, but when we ran upstairs, he wasn't there and both boys are alive" James slammed into a seat and put his head in his arms. Lily sat close to him. Peter stood at the back of the room, holding Harry in his arms tightly.

Dumbledore sat in silence. Voldemort must have used the killing curse. Surely! Which meant that-

"One of these boys must have stopped him"

James looked up and Lily snapped back to reality. "Pardon me professor?"

"One of these boys must have stopped the curse and defeated Voldemort" Dumbledore stated.

"But... but how....I mean...but which one?" Lily asked.

Dumbledore gazed at the child in Lily's arms. On his temple was a bleeding wound.

Dumbledore stood up and walked over to him to get a better look. The scar was in the shape of a V. Which must mark him as 'Victorious'!

"It's Colin. Colin Evan Potter is the Boy Who Lived, which also makes him the chosen one!"

Pettigrew looked at Harry.

He had a wound in the shape of a lightning bolt on his forehead.

This poor boy didn't know what fate had planned for him.