Chapter five: The Ugly Duckling

After hearing Harry's story, Allyssa was not sure if Harry's parents would really come for him. But she hoped it would only be a matter of time. 

But plenty of time passed after that letter was sent. And nothing. 

She deluded herself into thinking Samson had delivered the letter to the wrong address. Which, deep down, she knew was utterly ridiculous. Samson may be young, but he wasn't stupid. 

But she kept a firm eye on the Daily Prophet. Nothing. 

No articles, no missing posters, not even any tearful mother appeals for information. 

It was as if the Potters had just forgotten their other twin all together. 

Allyssa was outraged. Actually, she was beyond that. She was disgusted. 

What parent could do that to their child? Especially one as delightful as Harry!

After the first week, Allyssa began to wonder what she should do. 

On one hand, Harry seemed much happier than he had been. From the moment she had shown him the guest room which he could stay in, he became more... brighter. Cheerful, even. He'd jumped onto the bed with a giggle and a 'thank you'. He told her the whole room looked like a fairy tale. 

Oh he sounds like Erin...

He was certainly happy when she'd told him her job the next day. A potions mistress. The second he found out, he grinned and begged her to show him some potions. That smile... who could say no? So she made a basic boil cure, then gave herself a boil, and watched Harry's beautiful amazement as the boil vanished within seconds of the potions touching it. 

The day after that, Allyssa took Harry to the village. She planned to show him the fields, the animals and, most importantly, the muggle villagers, especially the children. She had a feeling he had barely left the confinements of Potter Manor, and barely spoken to non-magical people. And, to her great relief, Harry seemed to absorb everything around him and spoke very nicely to everyone. He even made friends with a few of the children at the village playground. 

"Did you have any friends before, Harry?" she asked him as they walked back to Bouton De Rose cottage. 

"Yes, Allyssa. I have another friend!" he answered loudly and with a carefree laugh. 

"Oh yes? What's their name?" 

"Drake. He gave me cards for a birthday present! And he laughed with me! He's my first ever friend! Which means he's my best friend!" 

Allyssa smiled at his logic. 

Throughout the first week Allyssa became more and more concerned about Harry's parents. And more and more enchanted by Harry's childish nature, delightful attitude, and great mind. 

Harry showed her amazing magical potential. More than just overflowing abilities that had to be let out by accidental magic. Harry had more abilities than Allyssa had ever seen. He could flip a light switch by blinking, make a cold bath become piping hot, and even light a fire just by looking at the fireplace. Allyssa knew this wasn't normal for a magical child, accidental magic should only happen if the person is angry or scared. 

So why was Harry so... in control. And, most importantly of all, how had his parents not noticed his power?! 

Well, it must've been easy. Because after a week, Allyssa had still heard back nothing. 

"That's it!" Allyssa said to herself on the eighth night. "If these so-called parents won't step up and do something decent for their son, then I will!" 

So that night, she told Harry a bedtime story. The muggle story The Ugly Duckling. 

"So it turns out the little duckling that all the other ducks bullied, made fun of, and dubbed 'The Ugly Duckling', was actually a beautiful swan. A gorgeous creature who made everyone who saw him comment about his beauty in awe." Allyssa reciting the words from memory. 

"Was he ever bullied by his family again, Allyssa?" Harry asked from the comfort of his large bed and sheets. He looked so small, but very comfy. 

"No Harry. He found a new family who loved him and saw him for who he really was. They spent lots of time playing and having fun and the Ugly Duckling never was unhappy again." 

Harry freed his arm from his sheets and pointed at her, "like you! You're the first person to ever see me, the Ugly Duckling, for who I am!" 

"Thank you Harry..." Her voice faded. She took a deep breath and said, "Harry, we need to talk about your parents."

"They're not coming for me" Harry stated, not questioned. 

Allyssa nodded. She had accepted that fact now. 

Harry looked away from her. He appeared to be lost in thought as he stared at the sheets. He then visibly swallowed and turned back to face her. He gave her the same heart breaking look he gave her a week ago when they first met. 

"Allyssa... Can I... Can I stay with you then? Please? You are so nice! Your kind to me and you take me out and let me have friends! Your a much better mother than my real one! Please... Can I still stay here?" He asked tears running down his cheeks, but his face looked hopeful. 

Allyssa pulled Harry into a hug. Holding him like she would never let him go. She hushed and wiped his tears, whispering comforting words into his ear. She felt him momentarily go very tense, as though he had never been held like this before in his life. But then he relaxed and put his smaller arms around her, sighing contently. After a few minutes, she leaned back and held his face in both her hands. She kissed his forehead. 

"Of course you can stay here! For as long as you like!" 

"Forever then?" 

She smiled at him. "If you wish. Now, Harry, it's late and you should be asleep. I'll take you to the farm tomorrow if you want?" 

Harry nodded with a boyish grin. He leaned forward and kissed her cheek before snuggling back down in his sheets. Allyssa tucked him in lovingly. 

"Thanks mum" Harry said in his last seconds of being awake.