Chapter Three

December 2019

I could barely contain my excitement when Anna, Bradley, and his electrician friend arrived early the next morning. I was finally going to have electricity. It wouldn't all get done in one day, but at least I would have some power points to charge my phone and laptop, and even be able to plug in a vacuum cleaner.

As the three of them entered the cottage, their eyes scanned the main living area, mouths open in awe. A nice change from my parents' scowls, that was for sure.

"Tills, this place looks a thousand times better. You have done such an amazing job cleaning it up," Anna commented, making her way through the living room.

"I agree. Such a big difference from when I last saw it," added Bradley.

"An old-fashioned chandelier would look perfect right there." We all turned to the electrician, and he smiled with slight embarrassment. "Sorry. Always thinking like an electrician. I'm Alex, by the way," he said, outstretching his arm towards me. I took his hand and shook it gently, smiling politely at him. He returned the smile, baring his pearly whites, then my eyes shifted to the cute dimples noticeable in each cheek. In fact, Alex was quite attractive; tall, well-built, brown hair with dark eyes.

As I pulled my hand away, I glanced at Anna, and caught her hiding a smile behind her fist. I narrowed my eyes at her in confusion, in which she responded with raising her eyebrows up and down several times.

Ignoring her, I said to the men, "Thank you so much for coming. Where do you want to start?"

"Uh, I was thinking the kitchen," Alex replied. "At least you'll be able to plug in your kitchen appliances."

"Sounds wonderful. Thanks, Alex."

Without hesitation, he moved into the kitchen.

"While Alex does that, I'm actually going to start on the picket fence today," Bradley informed me.

That was unexpected. "Really? I thought you were here to help him out?"

"Nah. He doesn't need my help. Early Christmas present from me to you. Surprise!"

I laughed. "You are amazing. Thank you, Bradley."

"You have no idea how excited he's been to get this fence up," Anna said, rolling her eyes. "He's been talking non-stop about it."

I laughed again, even though I knew she wasn't joking.

"You know I love this stuff, babe. Now, enough chit-chat,  ladies, time to get on with it." Without another word, he was spinning on his heels and striding back out the front door.

"What did you have planned for us today, Tills?" Anna asked, turning to face me.

"I actually would like to get the spare room tidied up. If my parents do decide to stay over Christmas, they'll need a place to sleep."

"Sure, sounds good." Anna followed me into the bedroom where I had slept for one night in 1869. Everything was laid out exactly the same, the only difference being the furniture was covered in a thick layer of dust. Anna stood in the centre of the room. "Do you think they will stay?"

I shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine. They didn't sound too keen on the idea, but you never know, maybe a Christmas miracle might happen. You and Bradley are welcome, too, you know. There's another spare bedroom."

"You just don't want to be alone with your parents," she said, squinting her eyes at me.

"You're onto me."