Chapter Eighteen

"Let me buy you a new dress," Nicholas said, as we exited the inn the next morning.

"No, it's fine, really," I replied, dismissing the offer with a wave of my hand.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Says the person who hasn't stopped complaining about only having one dress all morning."

I scoffed. "That is a complete exaggeration. I mentioned it once. Okay, maybe twice. But there's nothing wrong with only having one dress. I love this dress, it's your mother's dress, but it just needs a wash, that's all. I guess I was complaining more about not having a clean dress to put on this morning."

"It's quite all right to want more than one dress, Matilda. Besides, you need a second dress to wear while your first dress is being washed. So having a second dress is also a necessity. Please, allow me to buy you one."

He did have a point. "I just don't want you spending all your money on me." I appreciated his generosity, but it didn't feel right. I wasn't even sure how long I was staying in this century. A couple of days, a week at the most, and it seemed a waste for him to buy me clothes when he would have no use for them after I had gone back to my time.

He wrapped his arm around my waist as we strolled up the street. "I'm not spending all my money, darling, and it's just one dress. There's no need to feel guilty about it. Besides, what kind of husband would I be if I didn't buy you clothes?" He wiggled his eyebrows at me and I couldn't help but smile.

"You know you don't have to pretend we're married when no one's around to hear, right?"

"Just practising," he said, but then his facial expression changed as though realising something. "Does it make you uncomfortable?"

"No, I'm just... I'm just tired of lying, that's all." I didn't mean to bring down the mood, but it was something that had been bothering me.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have went along with the husband and wife-"

"No, it's not that," I interrupted. "Well, maybe a little. But ever since I set foot in 1869, I've had to lie to everyone. I lied to you, I lied to Isabella... I even lied to a priest!"

Nicholas stepped in front of me, facing me, and I had no choice but to come to an abrupt stop. He placed his hands on my shoulders. "You had every good reason to lie to us, Matilda. You are from the future. Wow, does that sound strange coming from my lips... But you had no choice to lie about that, because if you had run around yelling and screaming I'm from the future, you would have ended up in a lunatic asylum."

I sighed. "I realise that. But even after I had gone back home, I still lied. I lied to my best friend who I have never lied to before."

"Same thing. If you had run around telling everyone you time-travelled, you would've ended up in a lunatic asylum. Besides, didn't you say you told her?"

"Yeah, I did. But then I came back here and again, I'm still lying."

"Yes, but only for your own safety. Unless you want to end up in gaol." I shook my head and stared down at my feet. "Why are you so upset, darling? What's brought this on?"

I shrugged, then lifted my head. "I don't know. I guess meeting Rose made me think. She's such a nice girl and she reminded me of Isabella. I could see myself being friends with someone like her. But if we became friends I would have to lie to her, and... I am way overthinking this. I'm not even going to be here long enough to need a friend. I'm sorry. I miss Anna," I pouted.

"Come here." He pulled me in close and I felt him kiss the top of my head. "If it's any consolation, I'm the one person you never have to lie to. I don't want you to ever feel like you have to hide anything from me. And with a bit of luck, we'll only have to lie about being Mr. & Mrs. Lacy for a couple of days."