Chapter Twenty-Five

Slouching in my chair in a way that what was for sure classed as unladylike for the time period, I stared out at the crowd. Christmas Day lunch was a success, thanks to all the hardworking volunteers, and I had eaten way too much of it.

The turnout was a little larger than expected, so we had to fetch a few more chairs, but there was plenty of food to go around.

Even though lunch was over, the festivities continued with guests becoming drunker and louder as time went on.

Thomas, Nicholas and I were seated slightly away from the crowd of people, not to be antisocial, but the wanted ad was still on our minds.

"I don't know about you, but I'm ready to go inside," Nicholas said to me. "I feel strange all of a sudden."

"Are you all right? Did you eat too much, too?"

"Yes, but that's not what I meant. I have a bad feeling. All these people are making me feel uncomfortable."

"Yeah, me too. I'd rather spend the rest of Christmas Day with just you two, anyway. I'll go let Rose know," I said, standing from my chair. "Oh, you might have to wake your father first."

Nicholas turned his head towards his father to find him asleep sitting up, head flopped forward.

"Bloody hell, that man could sleep anywhere."

I left him to it, finding Rose sitting by herself nearby, eyes closed, hand over her belly.

"Are you asleep, too?" The sound of my voice startled her, her eyes popping wide open. "Sorry."

"Matilda. Um, no, not asleep. Just... It seems I've eaten a little too much Christmas lunch, that's all. I'm not feeling the best."

"Haven't we all. Are you sure that's all it is, though? You were lightheaded last night and now feeling sick. Should I fetch Edie?"

"No-no, I'll be fine after I sit for a bit. If I'm still feeling off tomorrow, I'll talk to Edie. Or rather the doctor. I hear he's back in town. In the meantime, distract me, Matilda. How's your Christmas going?"

"Wonderful, actually. Nicholas snuck a tree into the cottage. That's what he and Noah were sneaking around doing yesterday."

A smile crept up on her face.

"I know. Noah came and asked me if he could borrow some of my leftover decorations."

I gasped, over dramatically. "You knew all along?"

She giggled. "Mm-hm. I also know about something else."

I was really hoping she was talking about the painting. "The painting?"

She nodded enthusiastically. "Your husband is so talented. I almost cried when I saw it."

"I can't believe you got to see it before me."

"Only by accident. I walked in to the cottage the other day and he was there working on it. I gave him a bit of a fright at first, he thought I was you."

"He certainly hid it well. I had no idea."

"Did he like the pouch?"

"He did." I smiled, remembering the look on his face when I gave him his gift. It was a simple rectangular leather pouch with a flap that you could secure closed with a button. The purpose of it was so he could place his paintbrushes and paints inside, perfect for travelling. I had hand sewn it myself with help from Rose. Even though the stitches were slightly askew, he said he loved it and was the most thoughtful gift he'd ever received.

"See? You were worried about nothing."

"So Nicholas and I were thinking about calling it a day."

"Already?"