Chapter Twenty-Seven

The weather the next day matched our moods; dark and gloomy. Rain had started to fall some time during the night and had continued throughout the day, finally easing off after lunch.

Not only were Nicholas and I miserable because it was our last day with Thomas, we had spent most of the day complaining of sore backs and stiff necks from spending the night on Thomas' armchairs.

"I think the rain has stopped for now," I said, staring out the small cottage window. "I might go see Rose. I owe her an explanation about what happened yesterday."

"What are you going to say?" Nicholas asked from one of the armchairs.

I turned in his direction. "I have no idea. It was all a misunderstanding and we thought he was somebody else? I'll make something up. I'm getting good at it. I also want to see how she's feeling."

One of the other volunteers had delivered the breakfast and lunch and she informed me Rose was still feeling unwell. Rose thought it was best she stay home rather than risk spreading her sickness to the residents.

I desperately needed to see her before we left Launceston at first light the next morning, and time was running out. And most importantly, I had to say goodbye.

"I'll take you," Nicholas said, rising from his chair.

"No-no, I'm fine to go by myself. You stay here with your father."

"I don't mind," he insisted, grabbing his coat from the back of the chair.

"Nicholas, it's fine."

"At least take Ace, then."

"Rose's house is a ten minute walk from here. I've been cooped up inside since yesterday afternoon. I really want to go for a walk."

Nicholas sighed. "You are so stubborn."

I walked over to him and gave him a peck on the cheek. "I appreciate you worrying about me, but Jack said he was leaving town. It's a short walk there and I'll be safe in Rose's house. Noah will be there, too. I'll be fine." He furrowed his brow and eventually nodded, agreeing with me. "I'll only be gone a few hours. I'll be back in time for dinner." I spun on my heals and headed for the door, calling out, "Come, Teddy!"

* * *

With Teddy following closely at my heels, I strolled down the hill, stepping over puddles and avoiding sticky mud along the way. I tried to keep to the grass along the side of the road as much as I could, but it was long, and my shoes, stockings and bottom of my dress were absorbing the water like a sponge. Poor Teddy was going to be filthy by the time we reached Rose's.

"Perhaps I should've carried you, buddy. But I thought you'd want to stretch your legs like I did." He promptly stopped, sniffed a blade of grass, then lifted his leg. "Oh, and do that, of course."

As we descended further down the road, I folded my arms across my chest, the crisp, damp air seeping through the long sleeves of my dress. I wished I had grabbed a shawl before heading out the door, but Rose's house wasn't too far away, and I could always borrow one from her for the trip back.

The road was eerily quiet; it seemed the locals had stayed inside their warm houses for the day, the birds and animals having the same idea.

Reaching a straight stretch of road, I glanced down at Teddy who seemed to be enjoying the freedom. "How are you doing, buddy? Not long to go now. You're hardly limping at all, I see. You've healed well."

After hearing what I thought were several twigs snapping nearby in the forest, and laughing at myself for being so paranoid, I was glad to be away from the trees and heading into the more populated area of town.