Chapter Thirteen

After Mr. Valentine had gone back inside, Nicholas raced over to me, helping me up off the ground. "Matilda, did you hear what he just said?"

"Yes, I did," I grumbled. "He knows I'm with you. Did you tell him when you were inside?"

"No, of course not. Like I told you before, Mr. Valentine is a smart man. He's known all along I was the one who helped you escape from the holding cell. I asked him to be my alibi the night you escaped, after all."

"We can trust him not to say anything to anyone?" I asked, brushing grass from the back of my skirt.

"Absolutely. If he can keep to himself for fifteen years that he helped fake my father's death, then, yes, we can trust him."

I stopped the task of pulling a cobbler's peg from the material and looked up at him, mouth gaping. "Wait, he admitted it?"

"No," he replied, shaking his head. "When I asked you whether you heard what he said, I wasn't referring to the mention of you."

"Oh, you weren't? I'm confused."

"Launceston. Mr. Valentine denied having anything to do with helping my father fake his death. But he came outside specifically to tell me about Launceston. There are some lovely cottages there for rent, he said. It was a clue. He was telling me without actually telling me that my father is in Launceston. Most likely hiding out in a cottage somewhere."

"Ohh. Do you really think that's what he meant?"

Nicholas nodded. "I believe he didn't want to admit out loud that he helped my father and knew where he was, in case someone in the house overheard. He came outside away from listening ears to give me a clue. He knew I'd crack his code."

"Oh my god. So you're father is really still alive? I can't believe it."

"Me neither, Matilda. Me neither," he said, shaking his head slowly. "Well, either that or Mr. Valentine actually was suggesting I take you on a romantic holiday to a cottage in Launceston," he added, in all seriousness.

"As much as I would love that, I think your first assumption was right. Your father is hiding in a cottage somewhere. That doesn't give us a lot to go on, though. I bet there's dozens of cottages in Launceston. How would we ever find him?"

"Hold up, Matilda. We still have a lot to think about. But first, we need to get out of here before someone sees you. Wait here while I go get Ace."

He was off before I could reply.

I watched as I waited for him to retrieve Ace and the buggy from a nearby tree. I still couldn't believe his father was still alive after all these years. It turned out my hunch was right, and coming back wasn't a wasted trip at all.

So we had found out the truth. But the next question was, did Nicholas want to see his father once again? And if Thomas was terminally ill, would Nicholas be able to handle saying goodbye for the second time? But the difference being this time around, was Nicholas would actually be able to say goodbye. Not everyone gets a second chance. I would hate Nicholas to regret missing out on his second chance.

But this wasn't all about Nicholas, either. Thomas Clay and Mr. Valentine had kept this secret for fifteen years. How would Thomas feel about his son arriving on his doorstep? Would he be happy to see him or furious that he discovered the truth?

"Matilda?" Nicholas' voice pulled me from my thoughts. I hadn't even noticed him pull up in front of me in the buggy. "Are you going to stand there all day?"

"Oops, sorry. Daydreaming again."

He chuckled. "At least you weren't humming this time. Now hop in before someone sees you."