Chapter Twenty-Nine

I was beside myself.

Nicholas was face down on top of a pile of debris and all I wanted to do was rush to his side to see if he was all right. "Is he dead?" I tugged on the rope binding my hands in a fit of rage. "If you killed him, you bastard, I swear I will-"

"Calm down, I didn't kill him. I barely even hit him hard. Just enough to knock him out." Jack grabbed the ankles of Nicholas' motionless body and dragged him beside me, turning him onto his back. I shuffled closer to him, placing my hands on his chest, feeling relief when I felt the steady rise and fall.

I watched as Jack retrieved the pistol from the debris and poked it safely back in its holster.

Damn, I thought to myself.

He rummaged once more in what seemed like a bottomless knapsack, and pulled out more rope. He certainly came prepared, I thought.

Jack tied Nicholas' arms and legs together, again, firm but gentle. Once satisfied with his work, he resumed his place on the floor.

"Now, if no one else is going to attempt to rescue you, I am going back to sleep. I suggest you do the same," he said, laying down, stuffing his knapsack under his head to use as a pillow.

Who was he kidding? There was no way I could sleep, not with Nicholas unconscious by my side.

Laying alongside Nicholas, I wiggled as close as I could manage to him, feeling the need for us to touch, imagining that the warmth of our bodies was creating a sort of protective bubble over us.

"Nicholas," I whispered, hoping his eyelids would flutter open at the sound of my voice. "Nicholas, wake up." After waiting and receiving no response, I rested my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes.

Seeing as I couldn't sleep, I stared out into the darkness, listening to the snores of Jack and unfamiliar sounds in the night. I was wondering if the house was really haunted when I heard Nicholas' voice, interrupting my thoughts.

"Matilda?"

I lifted my head up to look up at him. "Nicholas, thank god."

He turned his head to face me and winced, noticing the pain on the back of his head for the first time. "Ow. Did he hit me?"

"Shh. Yes. We'll have matching bruises." I adjusted my position so I could see his face better.

He tried to move, then noticed his hands and feet were tied. "He tied me up?"

"Shh," I repeated. "Yes, you lost consciousness and he tied you up. Now can we talk about how stupid it was of you to attack a man with a gun?"

"I know, I'm sorry," he said, not sounding too convincing.

"I thought he'd killed you. You dropped like a sack of potatoes. Don't ever do that again."

"How do you think I felt? Rose comes knocking on the cottage door with Teddy in her arms, no one knows where you are, and we hear from Rose's neighbour that someone of your description was hauled into a wagon by someone of Jack's description."

"I bet you were thinking the worst."

"I was in hysterics, Matilda."

"How did you know we'd be here at this house?"

"Luck. Nice trail of breadcrumbs, by the by. Ace needed a rest so I thought of this place. When I came close to the house, I saw the horse and wagon. Jack probably heard me."

"I'm relieved you're here. Even if we are tied up.

"Me, too. We'll find a way out of this, I promise." He leant forward and kissed my forehead.