Chapter 12

Soundtrack: Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner (1977)

Dedication: Tori — You are so sweet for commenting so often (multiple times on each chapter) and helping me reach my goals. You have a great sense of humour and you always find a way to make me laugh. Thanks for the good vibes :)  Jen

·

Mitch stands in the doorway of the boys' bus. He watches Louis, Harry and me with an expression on his face that I can only describe as much too serious. He knows something that I don't.

I wrap my arms around my torso for warmth as Mitch leads me outside, down the steps of One Direction's bus. We come to stall by the side of the vehicle where our new publicist awaits. I give her a meager smile, not entirely ready to admit that I've done something wrong.

My behaviour was foolish and I feel like a child.

It's the closest I've felt to being caught by my parents in years.

"Scarlet," our publicist, Ainsley, smiles brightly. "Your band said we might find you here."

I give a half smile to the young woman. "Only a little embarrassing."

"Don't worry about it," she chuckles, "so many people would kill to be you right now."

I release an unsteady huff, taking in the nearby sounds of singing and chatter. Tonight's concertgoers must already be lining up around the other side of the arena. I wouldn't feel so guilty — or, I wouldn't feel guilty at all — if Harry and I hadn't just foolishly escaped beneath the stage we're about to perform on for those very people. I'm caught in my tracks and it's all the young bugger's fault.

Or, I would say that, but Harry is such a painfully nice guy that I couldn't even think of putting any blame on him, right now or ever — I would just end up feeling bad.

I really should have known better.

What the hell was I thinking?

Then, Mitch speaks, and it's entirely the opposite of anything I expected to be confronted with: "We want you to date."

I feel my brows furrow, entirely confused. "Wait, what?"

"We've just started the tour and your face is fresh," Ainsley explains, looking me in the eyes. "You're in a band, but you're the eye-catcher. We want you in the papers, in the media, every source available. We want people to know who you are, aside from just an opening act."

I blink, waiting for her to continue.

"As shallow as it is, relationships are what drive the celebrity world," Ainsley elaborates, as Mitch nods along. "If you're seen with someone who has more fame than yourself — someone that many people recognise and are naturally drawn to — it intrigues people... it pulls them into you, in a way, and it makes them want to look you up without a second thought."

"Before you say anything, Scar," Mitch intervenes, "I wasn't too keen on the idea at first, either. I suggested a number of other routes to take, but it seems the shallow dating approach really is the best option."

"No, I think a fake date with a celebrity could be kinda fun," I glance between my manager and publicist, entirely in shock that I'm not being confronted like I'd presumed. "It won't be a full-on paparazzi event, will it?"

"Actually, that's exactly what this is," Ainsley says, on the contrary. "There will be a photographer hired for the job and you'll be going on a scheduled date with someone of our choosing."