Chapter 22

Soundtrack: Cream - White Room (1968)

Dedication: Emily  So, you've been reading Tangerine since my old Wattpad account and I miss your comments, but I love how you're still staying updated with the story here! You've also voted for each chapter and I think that's awesome, so thank you :)  Jen

·

"We're live in five!"

The crew around me adjusts the lights and reflective panels that face me, fine-tuning their equipment to suitable angles for my fast approaching interview. I chew on my lip, perched in the centre of the suite couch, as a few men and women move efficiently around me.

I really wish my band were here.

I always seem to get butterflies in my stomach — regardless if I'm about to go on stage to perform for thousands, or if I'm simply sat in a rented out hotel suite, waiting for an interview to begin. It's the wait that gets to me — the constant push and pull of anticipation, the endless wonder of what may or may not happen. It's the feeling in my gut that draws me in — that addictive, sick sort of sensation that I can't help but enjoy every single time.

It makes me feel alive.

"Are you ready, Scarlet?" asks a woman with headphones around her neck, sending a glance down to the clipboard in her hand.

I give her a nod, quickly fixing my hair in the reflection of the screen. "Always."

She nods in return, backing towards the other men in the room. "You're live as soon as the connection starts."

The small crew watches me as the room goes silent.

The live-stream screen flickers, then I'm met with the image of the infamous Landon Webber, confidently grinning at me through our connection.

"Scarlet Ryder — hello!" he greets me as an audience happily cheers from his end.

"Hi!" I sing, heart going for a pump already.

Landon grins wildly. "Welcome to the show!"

"Thank you!" I vividly beam. "You look lovely."

"Barely a hello and she's already trying to take me home," Landon comments to his audience, making all of us share a laugh. "So- you're in London right now?"

"Yes!"

"And you're on tour with One Direction."

"I am!" I can't help but ridiculously smile.

Landon goes silent for a moment, playing up such a fact by gaping at me in bewilderment through our video connection. His audience laughs in suspense as Landon pretends to snap out of it, shaking his head to continue with our conversation. "Can I say- you're on the road with five rowdy boys... that must be quite an adventure."

"That, plus my band has three boys as well, so... eight boys," I add pointedly. "Oh, and their live band has four lads, too, so... twelve."

"Twelve boys!" Landon repeats, entirely blown away. "A proper dozen! Did they come in an egg box, or-?"

"They did."

"No shortage in fart jokes, I assume?"

I laugh out loud, still managing to play coy. "I have a pretty cheeky sense of humour myself, so we all get along just fine."

Landon cheekily lowers his voice for his next question: "Do you have a favourite?"

"Favourite boyband member?" I ask him, lightly humoured.