Chapter 36

Jay and Skylor felt like ripping their hair out as they wrecked their brains trying to figure out what to do about Kai and Nya. After Jay had informed the two girls that Morro's mother had been hassling Kai again, while Skylor had been sympathetic, Nya used it as more reason for Kai to have an abortion. Cole and Zane suggested filing a police report against Wendy, but Kai dismissed that idea. As long as she believed he wasn't keeping Morro's baby then she'd eventually leave him alone.

At least, that's what Kai and the others hoped.

Afterward, they could all put what happened to him and Skylor behind them and get on with the rest of their lives. Not that Nya agreed with that. The younger Smith sibling was current at the library on the other side of Ninjago city, where hardly anybody knew her and she could study for an upcoming exam in peace. Skylor was downtown at the jobcentre, hoping she would get a lucky break. Jay and Cole were in the apartment's living room with Kai, helping him get ready for his next scan, which Cole was driving him to.

While the two agents waited Kai entered the living room after picking on an outfit to wear.

He was wearing a burgundy, turtle-neck sweater with black skinny jeans. He held in a sigh, knowing in a couple of months he wouldn't be able to fit in them for a while.

"You look nice." Jay smiled when he saw the brunette. "Is there anything you need to take?"

"I don't think so, it's just a scan isn't it?" Kai muttered. He hadn't gotten much sleep last night and the bags under his eyes made that clear.

"Right, well, my car's outside so we better get moving." Cole smiled as he grabbed his keys. He took in Kai's tired appearance and sighed sadly. "Kai, we're all proud of you, you know that right?"

"We need to go if we wanna get there in time." He replied quickly before speed walking out of the apartment. Cole shared a sad look with his boyfriend before following the brunette out...

****************

Kai desperately tried to swallow the giant lump in his throat, but every time he tried, it just choked him even more. Kai was sitting alone in the waiting room of the local hospital's maternity ward with two other couples who were both eagerly waiting to be called in so they could see their babies. He wished he was that eager. He was curled up on a small love seat in the far corner of the waiting room, away from the others, when Cole came back with two take-out cups full of hot coffee.

"That damn coffee machine took so long I thought you'd already been in." The noirette smiled as he handed Kai one of the coffees.

"I think I'm in next." He muttered, refusing to meet the agent's eyes. They heard loud laughter and turned to see a couple looking at each other with loving smiles while the father gently rubbed his partner's large baby bump. As he turned away from the sickly sweet sight, Kai felt like he was suffocating as he thought about Morro. He knew that the baby would want to know about their father and Kai still had no idea what he was going to say.

He had planned on saying that Morro was dead, but that criminal would be out in thirty years, or twenty-five with good behavior.

God knows what would happen if one day Morro turned up on the baby's doorstep out of the blue if they'd spent their whole life thinking their father was dead. He thought about telling them the truth. But he feared what that could do to the baby's self-esteem and mental and emotional health if they discovered they were created by rape. Upon seeing Kai's inner turmoil on his face, Cole placed a strong, comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Don't worry buddy, won't be long now." He reassured and Kai, for some reason he didn't understand, trusted him. After a few minutes, the midwife stepped into the waiting room with a clipboard in hand.