Chapter 48

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Alright folks, a certain character will seem like a jackass in this chapter, but there is a reason for it which will be explained in future chapters; so please bear with me!

****************

It had been a week since the court case and everyone had been trying to get on with their lives. No one had heard from Wendy, but Jay heard from Lloyd that they had released Morro's body and she was planning a funeral for her son. Everyone was sure that not many people would turn up to Morro's funeral. As Cole pulled up outside the apartment, he noticed how it was getting warmer, meaning summer was right around the corner. He knew Jay and Nya were at the base working on a project, Zane was on a recon mission, and Skylor was meeting a real estate agent for her restaurant.

The noirette was about to enter the building when he noticed someone by Jay's car.

He walked over and was surprised to see Kai was cleaning Jay's car. He was wearing knee-length pants and a light red shirt. His bump caused the shirt to stick out, exposing the bottom of his stomach, but everyone who valued their lives didn't dare say anything.

"What's all this then?" Cole grinned as Kai dropped the sponge in the bucket, creating a big splash.

"I just thought Jay would like a clean car." He shrugged.

"I'm sure he'll love it." He promised and he gave Kai a kick peck on the cheek. "How've you been?"

"I'm doing good, just wish my back would stop hurting." He groaned as he rubbed his lower back. All of a sudden, the brunette froze and his eyes widened when he saw something over Cole's shoulder. The agent arched an eyebrow in confusion and turned around to see Misako Garmadon walking towards them. Cole's eyes narrowed when he saw her. He had only met her a couple of times at the least, mainly seeing her talking to Lloyd, but he was sure she was a nice person.

But he was also certain that she was here to put Wendy's case forward.

"Look, I know I'm probably the last person you want to see right now." She said quickly, but that didn't ease the tension between them.

"What are you doing here then?" Cole glared.

"I really need to talk to Kai, please, I just need five minutes." She pleaded and Cole turned to the brunette. All Kai had to do was say the word and he would make her leave. Instead, Kai sighed lightly and looked at her expectedly. "Honestly, I didn't know who you were." She added and both men scoffed.

"And yet here you are; showing up like your friend did when all I want is to be left alone!" Kai exclaimed and she looked away in shame.

"I don't blame you for being wary, I still can't get my head around it all either." She replied, taking a step forward, but Cole quickly blocked her path.

"If you or that best buddy of yours come anywhere near Kai again, playing your mind games, you're going to regret it." He warned angrily, and she looked genuinely worried.

"...I understand." She said after a moment and made to leave, only to look back at them. "It's just... Wendy's not like Morro."

"You still here?" Cole snapped. Misako frowned slightly before walking away. Cole seemed satisfied and was about to lead Kai inside, but before he could even blink, the brunette was chasing after her.

"Wait!" He called out and she stopped to see what he wanted. "Why did you come here?" He asked.

"I'm not entirely sure myself." She replied. "I didn't come here to harass you, you do believe that don't you?"