Chapter 50

Skylor stifled a yawn as she scrolled through her phone and checked through the dozens of texts and pictures Kai had been sending her and Nya the last two weeks since he, Cole, Jay, and Zane had gone up to the cabin. It seemed to be doing the trick. Even just talking over the phone Skylor could tell Kai was feeling better already. If she and Nya were being completely honest, they were having a nice break too. Kai would never be a burden and they all made sure he knew that every day, but it was nice to have the place to themselves and not be stuck in an overcrowded apartment.

Last night the couple had spent most of the night having Netflix and chill and now she was regretting it.

Both of them could barely keep their eyes open and Skylor had almost sleep-walked to the cafe for some hot coffee. The red-haired woman had hoped to go to the cafe and get some peace but quickly realized that that wasn't gonna happen. There was a special support group for new moms gathered in the cafe. Normally Skylor didn't have a problem with this. The only issue she had was the fact Wendy was the nurse who here to provide the moms' advice as a nurse, dressed in scrubs and everything.

Skylor was almost certain that Wendy didn't work on the maternity ward.

She had a sneaking suspicion that the older woman was only here to speak to Kai. Wendy did notice her but decided not to say anything to her and focus on her work.

"So does anyone have any problems they want to share?" She asked the group, who all shared uncomfortable glances.

"... I'm not getting any sleep." One finally admitted, gently rocking her baby boy in her arms. "He cries all the time, he doesn't need feeding or changing or anything he just won't settle." She complained, clearing at her limit with motherhood. "I thought about putting him in the bed with us."

"No, I-I wouldn't advise that." Wendy quickly said and she thought carefully about her next words, not wanting to cause a panic. "If, um, if you're exhausted and you fall into a deep sleep you could roll onto him and you wouldn't realize it; my advice is to get him into a routine, set meal times, sleep times, and just try and stick to it as best you can."

"But what if they wake up in the middle of the night?"

"Obviously if he's hungry feed him, don't make him wait, but a routine can work." She smiled and Skylor scoffed. With how Morro turned out Skylor was shocked that any sane person would think about taking parenting advice from her of all people. Not wanting to watch this woman give these poor mothers probably false information, Skylor got up and intended to pay her bill and leave. She great misjudged her grip on her empty cup however and dropped it on the floor, causing it to shatter.

Without thinking she bent down to try and clean up the mess.

"AH!" She cried aloud as the shards cut into her hand, causing it to bleed badly. Everyone, including Wendy, heard her cry and the nurse instantly rushed to her side.

"Oh, dear! Are you alright?" She asked in concern as she tried to check Skylor's hand, but the younger woman pulled it away.

"I'm fine!" She hissed in pain before suddenly reaching into her pocket, pulling out some dollars, throwing it at a barista, and storming out of the cafe, trying to stop the blood dripping from her hand...

****************

Skylor hissed as she wrapped a small towel tightly around her still bleeding hand and paced around the apartment, willing her had to stop bleeding soon. It had been a little over two hours since the accident and it wouldn't stop. She was thankful Nya was at work. Skylor really didn't want to go to the hospital and she was sure if Nya saw the wound her first reaction would be to drag her to the nearest hospital. Skylor had always had a fear of hospitals and unless she was dying she would never set foot in one.