12 hours

Enchanted forest.

A year had past since the incident involving Ariel and the human man and it had all but left my mind.

Father hadn't been pleased when we returned to the palace, luckily all he suspected was me and ariel had been out swimming all night.

So after a lecture on responsibility, Ariel and I were sent on our merry way.

Life pretty much went back to normal.

I went back to patrolling the grounds of Atlantica, keeping the corals barnacle free and in prime condition.

So it would come as a shock when one day as I was doing my usual patrols of the palace grounds, an ecstatic Ariel comes swimming my way at top speed.

We both collide with each other.

OPH!!

We both tumble into the ocean floor.

"Ariel! Watch where your going!" I scold her.

I gather my bearings before rising from the sea bed and straightening myself out, fixing some of my blond strands that fell out of my ponytail.

"Sorry Arista, but I've been looking for you everywhere, you won't believe what I've found out."

Ariel face is glowing in happiness, her smile nearly takes up the bottom half of her face.

"His name is Eric and he's a prince and he's holding a ball."

Who is she talking about.

Then is struck me.

The sailor.

The one Ariel saved from drowning.

I give Ariel me best reproachful stare, hoping to fully portray my disappointment.

"Ariel I thought I told you to leave the human world alone."

Ariel doesn't even pretend to look sorry.

"I know, but I can't help it, I love him."

Not this again.

"Ariel we've been over this, he's human and your a mermaid."

"Yes but what if I wasn't." Ariel interjected.

That stops me in my tracks.

"Come again?"

"I think I know where to find Ursula, legend states every year when the high tide rises, Ursula grants merpeople the ability to walk on dry land until the next one occurs, it's tomorrow, tomorrow I will be able to walk on land."

Ursula?

Walking amongst the humans?

"Ariel, your speaking nonsense, please stop this ridiculous pursuit, why can't you just be content and find happiness where you are, their are so many handsome and eligible mermen who would give their right tail fin to court a Princess, why not choose one of them, look at Attina she's married to a wonderful merman and she has 3 beautiful children and Alana is courting urchin, and if you don't want it settle down then follow Adella's example and have several suitors at once."

I try to reason with my contumacious little sister.

Ariel gathers my hands in hers.

"Arista I love you and I love my kingdom, but I love Eric, I know your probably can't understand but I've never felt this way before, I know in my heart I belong with him. I could find a partner and produce children but I would never be truly happy, not like I could be with him, I just need to meet him once, and if that is all I am to have then I would gladly spend the rest of my life a maid and never marry." Ariel pours her heart and soul out.

I feel my resolve weakening, my Achilles heel always being true love.

I make one last attempt to alter ariels resolve.

Though truthfully knowing it would be in vain, once Ariel gets an idea In her head, nothing and no one can change her mind.

"All magic comes at a price."

"I'm aware but I'm sorry, neither you, nor Sebastian or even father will be able to persuade everyone otherwise, it's my life, my decision. plus it's only for 12 hours, if he doesn't feel that same I will return the sea and live out the rest of my existence with our family, doing my duty."

Only 12 hours.

She would be only gone for a day.

Ariels plan has a certain seductive charm one I find myself becoming more and more enticed by.

Still I need to know every outcome.

"Okay but what if you portly throughout plan actually works and and Eric returns your feelings, you still have the fact that you are a mermaid and he is human what will you do."

Ariel open and closes her mouth.

Clearly she hasn't thought that far ahead.

"I don't know."

I know I'm going to regret this but out of all my sisters I've always been closer to Ariel.

"Well than I suppose you best make every second count."

Ariel turns to stare at me, I offer her a smile which she mirrors before throwing herself in my arms.

"Thank you!"

I continue to hug my little sister.

Taking comfort in her familiar warmth.

Ariel let's go.

"I've got to prepare myself."

She quickly swims off, leaving me in the field of corals, deliberating whether or not I made the right decision.

I have to remind myself, it's only 12 hours what could possibly happen in that time frame.