Away We Go

Author's Note:
Hey guys, sorry for any typos. I'm aware that sometimes I have typos and I try to correct them but I miss them sometimes. I'm typing on an IPad and my keyboard isn't the best and misses keys that I push sometimes. Anyway, Hope you are enjoying the story! And we are switching some things up this chapter. We get a look into Kiara and who she is!!!
Starting this chapter there will be flashbacks. These will be indicated with italics and a separation between lines.

Kiara's POV

"So, where would you like to go first?" I looked down at Nyko who had wide eyes.
"They have escalators." Her jaw dropped and her eyes darted in all directions.
"Yes baby, they have escalators. Did you hear my question?" Her soft grey eyes were filled with joy when she looked at me.
"What? I don't know. There are so many options. I haven't been to a mall since..." Her smiled dropped and the expression on her face became dull.
"Hey you know what? How about we go get your hair cut first?" I gently cupped Nyko's face in my hand and smiled at her. Slowly her joyful self started to resurface. There's my happy little girl. She nodded her head and waited for me to lead the way.
"I have a question." Her voice was quiet but determined.
"Yes little one?" I thought for a minute on where the hair place was then remembered. We got on an escalator which seemed a little difficult for Nyko.
"How short can I cut it?"
"However you'd like sweetie." I looked back at Nyko who was in awe of how big the mall was.
"Really? Well, I don't know how I want it cut." She leaned against the railing at the top of the escalator.
"Would you like it long or short or about in the middle?"
"Short. I don't like having long hair."
"Alright sweetie. We can do that."
An hour later Nyko's hair was an undercut with three inches in length on top. Her hair was soft and fluffy when I ran my hands through it.
"Do you like it?" I bent down to be at eye level with my little. She nodded her head, looked in the mirror and kept touching her hair. "Alright sweetie, why don't we go shopping now, okay?" I grabbed her hands and pulled her up from her seat.
"Okay." She smiled and got up cheerfully and walked over to the door.
Three stores and the only thing in my hand was one bag with a pair of seven dollar pants. Does she know she can get whatever she wants? Maybe I didn't explain that to her. God I want to spoil her so bad. I can tell she's enjoying today. Until she starts thinking about what happened with her mom. She's beautiful and she has a lot on her mind. I just hope today shows her how much she can be herself around me.
"Miss Kiara, I'm hungry." Nyko looked up at me with her curious grey eyes. She was holding her stomach. "My tummy hurts I'm so hungry."
"Oh, alright sweetie. We can get you something to eat. What would you like? You can pick anything you want."
"Soup?" She gave me puppy dog eyes.
"Soup it is then." I squeezed her arms together a bit and tugged on her arm to go get her soup.
After we finished eating we went to another store that had more kids items. I could tell this is where Nyko wanted to be. Her posture changed and she seemed to get happier. She bounced around from rack to rack and got happy every time she found something she liked. She grabbed something off of the rack and looked at the tag then put it back and skipped to another rack. I watched her carefully to keep in mind the items she liked. I walked passed her and she grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers.
"Mommy I want this one." Nyko tugged on a shirt on the clearance rack. She didn't seem too thrilled about the item she chose so I turned to her. Did she just call me mommy? Awe that was so cute. Okay focus. She's not happy with what she chose.
"Baby, you know you can get anything you want right? it doesn't matter how expensive it is. We are shopping for you and you only today. That means that I am spoiling you. You can get whatever you want."
"Are you sure? I can get anything I want?" She looked at me for reassurance.
"Yes I am sure baby." I could feel her fingers wiggling on my knuckles.
She quickly pulled me over to the previous rack and grabbed a pair of short overalls. They are a pastel pink which went surprisingly well with her body. She then pulled me to a series of other racks and grabbed even more items. I laughed and realized that maybe she's never been spoiled before. Maybe she's never had the opportunity to just splurge and get whatever she wants.
I looked up from the clothing racks and noticed a familiar face. Her freckles were unforgettable.

"Come on. Go ahead. We know you want to." Children pushed and shoved my girlfriend around in a circle and threw stuffed animals at her.
She was helpless. I had to do something to stop them from doing this to her.
"Why don't you go cry to your Mommy." One of the kids grabbed something out of his pocket and jumped in the middle of the circle and pushed Avaleen on the ground. He shoved a pacifier in her mouth and laughed.
Do they realize what kind of damage they are doing to her?
"Hey," I yelled and clenched my jaw.
"Look, it's her mommy. Standing up for her big baby. Oh we're sooo scared." The kids went back to what they were doing.
I easily had three inches on at least 3/4 of them. I could take them. I'm doing this. Avaleen needs you. I walked to the circle and rolled my hand into a fist and grabbed one of them by the hair.
"Ow! What the hell?" The kid yelled and fell to the ground. With a quick turn I punched one of the taller boys in the nose and I could feel the crack.
I started pushing and hitting whoever stepped in my way an eventually I was on the ground next to my girlfriend. She was covered in spit and tears. She had managed to roll herself into a ball and she was coughing. I brushed the hair out of her face and noticed her swollen eye.
Those bastards.

I stared at her longer than I intended to. She glanced over at me which made me return to my attention to my little. Nyko was happily picking out shirts and pants that she wanted. This is the real her.
"Mommy, I don't know if all of these will fit me." Her voice grabbed my attention and I had to process what she was saying.
"It's alright sweetie. You can try them on in the dressing room." I smiled at her and she nodded her head. "Are you wanting to try them on now?"
"Yes please." I noticed she had five or six items that she was struggling to hold. I took the clothes from her arm and carried them to the dressing rooms. She shut the door behind herself before I could offer to help. What a big girl.
"Sweetie, if you need any help just let me know okay? I'll be right out here waiting." I listened for a minute then turned my attention to the footsteps behind me.
"Kiara, hi." Her voice was husky and deep.
"Avaleen, I was wondering if that was you." I turned around and greeted her with a warm smile.
"In the flesh. How are you?"
"I'm good. Just shopping. You?" I was suddenly curious of what she was like now.
"Same as you actually. Turns out this is a popular store." We both laughed a bit until the door creaked behind me.
"Mom..." Nyko stopped in her tracks and stared at Avaleen then quickly jumped behind me.
"Nyko this is Avaleen. Avaleen this is Nyko. My uh..." I hesitated. What if she finds it weird I still have littles? "Roommate."
"Hi, Nyko. It's nice to meet you." Avaleen gave a small smile and waved. Nyko waved shyly from behind me and grabbed my arm.
"Its' okay, she's an old friend." I looked down at Nyko who was now starting to warm up to her. Avaleen is good with kids?
"Hey babe, did you find anything you wanted?" A tall woman with a septum ring and a large rose tattoo behind her ear approached us.
"Scarlett this is Kiara and her little Nyko was it?" Avaleen looked around at the three of us. Little? Oh my god she knows. "Kiara this is my care giver Scarlett."
"Nice to meet you." Scarlett gave me her hand and I shook it firmly and lashed a nice smile.

Another Author's Note:
I know not many of you read these but I'm a writer who needs to get out there. Please Please Please vote and comment on anything you want to see. I will be giving sneak peaks to a couple of the people who comment. I would really like to get out there and have more people read my work. Thank you! Enjoy.