Chapter Four

"Come on, five more step-ups, we can do this! Here we go!" Emma hollers as she cranks up the music and the class screams violently to release the tension as they push through the workout.

Except for Regina, she grits her teeth and glares murderously at the blonde.

And because she's zoning in on only the Savior, she notices a flash of pain strike the woman's face like a bolt of lightening. Emma unexpectedly wobbles off her box, but she proceeds counting down for the class as if nothing is the matter. Yet, Regina knows. Regina knows this woman far better than she would ever claim to and she knows something is terribly wrong.

"And one," Emma calls out, not nearly as loud as she usually yells and then quickly turns off the music. "Great job today guys! That was amazing. I will see you all on Friday."

Regina's brows furrow as she analyzes the awkward way Emma shuffles out of the room. She isn't quite sure what compels her, but without a second thought, she's rushing out of the room and following her coach down the hall. Emma vanishes behind a bathroom that's strictly marked for employees only. Regina hesitates for a moment, but something in her gut is screaming at her to barge right in.

Instead, she lightly knocks on the door. "Emma?" She gently says, hoping she doesn't startle the woman, except she receives nothing in return. "Emma, it's Regina. I saw you rush off, are you alright?"

That's when she hears a muffled, "shit, shit," and what can only be described as sniffles to follow. "No, no, no."

"Emma? Can I come in?" Yet again, not a word is tossed her way, so she tentatively cracks the door open and peeks her head inside to find three stalls in front of her. She spots Emma's gym shoes beneath the stall furthest from the door. "Emma? Are you alright?" She carefully investigates because she can distinctly hear the sniffling now that won't quit.

"Regina?"

"Yes, I'm sorry to intrude, but I saw you run off and you looked a little queasy. I wanted to make sure you're okay," she kindly says, hoping this isn't overstepping but solidifying that Emma can trust her.

"No," the tiny word chokes out through a sob that's attempting to be contained. Then Emma steps out from the stall, her eyes red-rimmed, wide as saucers and full of panic. Regina's heart stops instantly. "I-I'm bleeding." Regina doesn't say a word, because surely this woman has experienced her period before. "I'm pregnant and I'm spotting," she confesses and this time she can't stop the sob ripping from her throat.

Internally, Regina panics; her blood prickling and burning hot, her stomach doubling over while her mind runs a mile a minute to try and process what the hell Emma just claimed.

"You're-" she cant even finish her sentence.

"Fuck, Regina," Emma's words bubble out of her mouth before she slaps a hand over her lips to silence the cries of agony that are trying to escape her. "I'm going to lose this baby."

Regina isn't entirely sure what happens, but she squares her shoulders and stands a little taller before she steps closer. "You don't know that. Come on, let's get you to the hospital and have you checked out, alright?"

"I-I don't..."

"Emma," Regina very calmly says, surprising herself at how in control she actually is in this moment. "Trust me, taking you to the hospital is the best thing for that baby right now. Let me help you."

Emma doesn't say a word, maybe she's too emotional and she cannot possibly fathom being so vulnerable in front of a woman she barely knows right now, but she nods once. Regina quickly flings the door open for her and they speed walk together down the hall. It's all a blur, but they rush back to the room to retrieve their bags with their keys and phones and then dash out of the room.