Chapter Twenty

"No, no, no," Emma continuously repeats as Regina holds her head firmly against her chest, running her fingers through that golden mane while whispering soothing words.

She still can't believe Emma latched on and kissed her like that and it doesn't take a genius to know they shared True Love's kiss and now, all those haunting memories are flooding back to the Savior.

"Dammit, Regina," Emma cries, growing frustrated with herself and angrily wiping away her pitiful tears. "Why did you bring us here? Fuck, take me back. Please, I was happy," she rambles before she groans and slams her fists of rage against the mattress. "God, I loved being blissfully ignorant and happy." She abruptly turns to face Regina, determination etched upon her depressing face. "We were happy, why did you have to ruin that?"

"Emma," she gently begins, understanding the inner turmoil that's poisoning her lover's mind, "we had to come back. I didn't want you to, believe me, but we had to for the baby," she explains, full of sorrow as she carefully places her palm on top of Emma's growing belly.

Emma's already shaking her head, her eyes glistening with more tears filled with regret, frustration and longing. "I-I don't understand, I-wait," she pauses, a little crinkle forming in her forehead as she tries to work out the puzzle pieces in her mind. She lays her hand on top of Regina's and glances down for a brief moment before her eyes dart back up to watery brown orbs. "This baby, the date...we were in Neverland and I only ever slept with you..." she trails off, needing Regina to finish the statement and confirm what her lips aren't ready to admit quite yet.

She's still not accustomed to magic and everything it entails but Regina is. Regina who swallows thickly, her thumb absentmindedly sweeping across a tiny limb that's seeking attention while her free hand cups Emma's cheek and she offers a small smile.

"Considering we broke your curse and your memories returned with a simple kiss in Storybrooke, I'm sure you know that we are True Loves," she gently reveals, holding Emma's wet gaze intently. "We created our baby girl out of magic, out of True Love."

Emma's bottom lip quivers, her mouth popping open but immediately slamming shut while her mind trips over what she wants to actually say. Both of Regina's thumbs are tenderly caressing, one for their daughter and one to calm Emma's frantic mind. Slowly, Emma falls back against the hospital bed and furiously rubs her palms against her eyes.

"This is all so crazy," she murmurs mostly to herself, convincing Regina that she has been rejected and forcing her to remove her hands from Emma's body.

"It is," she quietly concedes, folding her arms across her chest, holding herself close to ward off the tremors of rejection and heartache that are sure to come.

Emma's hands collide recklessly with the mattress below. She stares vacantly at the ceiling above for several minutes, neither one finding the courage to say a damn word. Regina is too familiar with heartbreak and losing a True Love and she feels nauseous from just the idea of having to live through that pain all over again.

"A-are you..." she stutters uncharacteristically before she clears her throat, squares her shoulders and tries again to appear more confident, summoning her Mayor Mills persona to protect her. "You're not going to take my daughter away from me, are you?"

This snaps Emma out of whatever downward spiral she was viciously free falling into. Green eyes flick to shimmering brown as Emma reaches for Regina's hand, breaking apart the folded arms in the process.

"Seriously? After everything we have been through? No, I would never do that. I thought we were in this together?" She timidly questions, tugging on Regina's hand, urging her closer.