Chapter Twenty-One

Adjusting to life back in a fairytale world was hard for Regina. She was just becoming comfortable with her little life and family in New York, nobody constantly watching over or criticizing them. Not one person paid attention to her life, but here in Storybrooke, she feels like she's constantly trapped in a snow globe, with every citizen observing her closely, ready to shake up her world again.

Emma and Henry on the other hand, seem indifferent. Henry went right back to school as if no time had passed and it was so easy for him because all the kids were fascinated and intrigued about his trip in Neverland and New York. Suddenly, Henry was Mr. Popular like in The Big Apple. As for Emma, she was so accustomed to moving and bouncing from house to house, it didn't even phase her. This was just another temporary pit stop before she reached her goal.

Regina went right back to work as mayor, knowing there was a mountain of paperwork and other duties that needed to be addressed. She didn't necessarily want the town to suffer, so she decided to tie up all loose ends and then begin searching for someone responsible enough to step in for when she officially leaves. Only one person came to mind.

Emma convinced Regina that she would be safe and that it was a good thing for her to work again and save money at the station before they left for New York. She wouldn't take on the role of sheriff again but she would stay at the station, filling out paperwork, answering calls, helping her father whenever need be and searching for a competent deputy to take over when she leaves.

They have to save as much money as possible and find a new home in the suburbs for the future before Autumn is born. Emma has six months left on her lease on the apartment but David, Henry and some of the dwarves drove to New York, emptied all the personal belongings and brought them back to Maine. All furniture was left behind so it would be easier to move once they found their forever home. Regina paid a ridiculous amount to end her own lease on that dinky studio and David was even nice enough to stop there as well and gather her clothes.

Now, Emma is approaching her seventh month and Snow is ready to pop at any moment. All while Regina is counting down the days to start her future.

"Your baby momma is here," Regina hears David say to Emma before she even enters the room.

"Baby momma? Wouldn't I be her baby momma because I carried both our kids? Either way, don't say baby momma again...it's weird," Emma scoffs just as Regina sweeps into the station.

"Isn't that the saying?" David questions as if he might have said it all wrong.

"Not for you it isn't," Regina lowly growls, sashaying right by his desk with determination clicking from her heels, ignoring his scowling face and moving right on to Emma's desk.

"What are you doing here?" Emma investigates through a giddy grin that is too contagious not to catch. "I thought you had a ton of work."

"I do," she concedes, placing a paper bag down in front of her girlfriend.

She feels the connection pulsating between them, urging her to lean forward and kiss those smiling lips, except she's all too aware of Emma's father's eyes upon her back and public displays of affection is not something either of them do. She hesitates but luckily, Emma doesn't seem too bothered by the notion because she's already lifting off her chair and gifting her with a quick peck to her lips.

"You didn't have to bring me lunch," Emma claims, flopping back down into her chair. "Trust me, I'll remember to eat," she proceeds to mumble, excitedly digging through the bag. "What did you get me? I've been craving-"

"Granny's grilled cheese," she continues shyly, the sensation of knowing someone that well still so foreign to her.

Emma immediately stops rummaging the bag, curiously blinking up at her. "How did you know?"