Ch4 p2

‘Good evening gentlemen and how was your evening?’ asked Madron. N’zar opened his mouth to respond but before he could speak Gerent, behind him said, ‘It has been both enjoyable and informative.’

The two knights started and abruptly stood still, both turned their heads to look at Gerent. He could have laughed out loud at the startled expression on their faces, but instead he walked between them both towards Madron saying:

‘Goodnight gentlemen, it has been an interesting evening, thank you for doing your duty.’ With only a quick glance back  he left them, standing mouths open behind him as he entered the main hall with Madron.

The next morning, which was again sunny, hot and sticky, Morvah proposed a trip to the beach, Gerent agreed with eagerness as he thought he would enjoy the cooler air and splashing about in the shallows, even if he couldn’t swim due to his arm. It had been a rare occasion if his mother had taken him t the beach at  home. Gerent thought that Morvah was looking particularly radiant that morning so much so that he hardly paid any attention to Madron’s questions about the previous evening and gave him only vague replies. Across the breakfast table, he gazed at her, captivated by her beautiful, flawless olive skin and her cute, enchanting face; he would go anywhere with her he mused.

They rode down to the beach escorted by N’zar and Morvah’s maid, Eve, who rode directly behind her mistress. N’zar looked as if he had not slept well and Gerent was seized with an urge to share the events of the previous evening with Morvah, but something, a niggling something, held him back from doing so. He thought she would be angry with both him and N’zar if she knew what had happened. He now felt that he had not behaved well and Gerent did not want to spoil what promised to be a fantastic morning by upsetting the wonderful creature by his side. He was enjoying her company, her conversation and felt he wanted the day to go on forever. After many pleasantries and compliments, Morvah asked him how he had enjoyed his evening without her and N’zar stiffened as he listened to Gerent’s reply, but Gerent spoke merely of missing Morvah badly and not leaving her side again. She did not seem to be satisfied with this reply and throughout the morning threw other questions at him about where they had gone and what he had heard. But Gerent, besotted by her, only replied in terms of missing her and the niggling something inside his head made him keep back any other information.

They sat together on the shore and Gerent paddled as he watched Morvah swim. He held her towel and helped her dry office, he listened to her talk and lay beside her on the deliciously warm sand holding her withered hand. Gerent felt he was almost in heaven and could not do enough for Morvah, he complied with every trivial request she prettily put to him. When Gerent went across the beach to where they had tethered the horses, in order to fetch Morvah her water from her saddlebag, N’zar rose from his seat in the shade beside the animals to assist him and said in a quiet voice, ‘My Lord Hugh, thou hast not mentioned what occurred during last night. Is it thy intention not to do so?’ Gerent looked at him over the back of Morvah’s horse and nodded, ‘I am most grateful to thee my Lord, for mine own sake and that of those under my protection,’ said N’zar, in a sad and humble tone.

‘Yeh, well you should be. I could have dropped you right in it if I’d wanted, don’t worry I ain’t gonna say anything. Now I’d better get back.’ Gerent not wanting the events of the previous evening raised again brushed aside N’zar’s thanks. He then forgot the man and his concerns as he turned and saw Morvah watching and waiting for him he took the water and ran back to Morvah.

The morning passed for Gerent, once back at the castle he and Morvah sat at the long table, on the balcony, to have a light lunch together. They then spent the afternoon in the library with Morvah instructing Gerent on court customs, as it had been decided that he would be presented to High king Pirran before long as he was the knight who was to fulfil the prophecy. Gerent listened to Morvah, absorbed more in her than what she was saying. He was disappointed when she told him they had to stop as it was time to prepare for the Knight’s banquet that was to be held that evening. She told him that he should wear his hauberk and breastplate to the banquet as he was her champion and Gerent was thrilled to hear her say it.