Carack Ch11 p3

The sun had just passed its highest point when Gerent noticed that several people were gathering around a ring which had been built of panels of willow twigs and staves. The bear cubs were being examined out of their cages and the bear seller was talking about them animatedly. He appeared to now have a couple of helpers, who were tall thin men wearing patched clothes that had faded with wear, and  they were also showing off the bear cubs to prospective purchasers. The four large bears were in their cage, as before, but were being looked over by interested purchasers, one of whom had a fierce looking bulldog on a lead and a stout cudgel, which he struck the cage with, making two of the bears jump. Gerent didn’t like the look of him, so he made his way to the ring as if to bid and the invisible Brunnstan went with him. Eventually all the bears were returned to their cages and all the auction customers and spectators were gathered around the ring by the bear seller. He had greased back his hair and scrubbed his face so hard it shone red, he had also put on what looked like an old circus ringmasters tail coat and now strode to the centre of the cleared circle, puffed out his chest and bellowed, silencing the crowd.

‘You know me, I’m Garrick Maegor, I’m here every year with the best bears the Gring Forest has to offer! These bears are here today to be sold as dancing and baiting bears! Now ladies and gentlemen, you don’t want to waste your money on buying a cub for baiting, they’re too young, dancing’s the way to make a fortune with them and so all those who wants a right good investment step forward for the bear cub auction!’

One of the two men hoisted a frightened bear cub into the ring and Meagor drove it around the circle with his whip.

‘This here fellow’s got sturdy legs, a strong back and good eyes, he’ll be able to stand upright for a fair while with legs like those. Take a good look ladies and gents, this what you want boy?’ he added spotting Gerent in the crowd leaning in over the fence.

‘Who’ll start the bidding then? Who’ll start for this handsome little bear?’ The bidding began and, one by one, the bear cubs were sold off and had chains put on to be taken away by their new owners. Gerent felt for them and wished he could save them, as he regretfully watched the last cub being pulled away he noticed the large grey mare being ridden up to the back edge of the crowd by the knight in the yellow tunic, which was now rather dirty. The knight reigned in at the back of the crowd and leaned forward on the saddle to watch the auction, the mare stood stock-still and Gerent admired the training of the horse. His attention was drawn back to the auction ring as Meagor introduced the first of the four large bears, which was not Meendhu. Gerent put in a low bid for the bear, fortunately, the bidding was brisk, if not high and so the bear eventually went to the man with the bulldog and cudgel, Gerent felt sorry for it. The next two bears were put up and auctioned off in a similar manner and it had been arranged that Meendhu would hang back until last, which he had managed to do. When Meendhu was brought into the ring on a chain Gerent felt a tug on his leg and knew that Brunnstan had gone to do his stuff, a large portion of crowd had drifted away by this time and so there were mainly interested buyers left. Gerent noticed that the knight was still there on the big grey mare, he turned back to the ring. Meagor had asked for an opening bid and Gerent was to give it. As soon as a second bid was heard Brunnstan suddenly appeared in the middle of the ring, wearing a red and green velvet suit and carrying a staff as tall as himself.

 ‘Stop!’ he shouted in as loud a voice as he could, ‘That is my bear and you have no right to sell him.’ There were titters of laughter amongst the audience at the words of the little Brownie, a creak of leather caused Gerent to glance at the knight who had stood in his stirrups to see better. Meagor looked in amazement and then smiled, as if it were an entertainment he had added, Gerent watched as Brunnstan banged his staff on the ground and said,  a thunderous voice for so small a body, ‘Return my bear Meagor or I shall do to you what was done to another bear seller!’ Meagor went pale, Brunnstan continued, ‘for I am a mighty warlock, though small in size!’ There was more laughter from the crowd at this, which caused Meagor to recover his composure and call for the next bid, Gerent immediately put his hand up and his bid was taken.

Brunnstan bristled with anger and shouted:

‘Do you dare doubt my word! You boy!’ he pointed his small staff at Gerent, ‘You want a bear do you? How would you like to be like a bear? See if I cannot carry out my words bear seller! Watch!’ and he jabbed the staff in Gerent’s direction. Gerent knew this to be his signal.

‘No!’ he cried out and turned it into a half growl. Then Gerent slouched his shoulders and looked around as if bewildered and made a few grunting noises, next he lumbered to a woman who was eating a cake and swiped it from her hand to the ground, dropped on all fours and shoved it in his mouth. The woman screamed and ran.

‘The boy’s been turned into a bear! Save me!’ The rest of the audience murmured and started to fall away from the auction ring, Meagor looked stupefied and lent back against the wicker fence.

‘Take the bear great Warlock, take the bear, don’t harm me, I meant no disrespect. I had the bear in good faith I swear. Take him!’ He handed Brunnstan the end of the chain, but all the while his eyes were riveted on Gerent who was thoroughly enjoying his performance as a bear. Now he lumbered around the outside of the auction ring and scared off the remaining customers. Brunnstan meanwhile took the chain and proceeded to lead Meendhu out of the ring and off down the street. Gerent was supposed to distract the crowd and Meagor until they were both out of sight, so he began to rummage in a pile of litter and toss it around, making grunting noises all the while. Meagor, now that the little Warlock had gone, recovered his wits and pounced upon Gerent.

‘Hmm the boy who thinks he’s a bear, people would pay good money to see that I think. Come along bear boy!’ He cracked his whip on Gerent’s legs, which stung so much that Gerent nearly cried out, and started to pull him towards the now empty cage.

‘Release the boy!’ A stern voice demanded and Gerent heard the sound of hooves and harness approach, he turned to see the knight in yellow with sword raised and pointed at Meagor.

‘Now, now, sir knight would you have me lose all my money? I have lost a bear today, at least let me have recompense with this idiot bearboy.’

‘He is not yours either, release him or lose your life! Choose Meagor!’

‘Take him, take him. I lose every way today, see if I return to Ludlowston after this!’ He thrust Gerent at the horse and the knight lowered his sword, Gerent quickly went around to the other side of the horse from the bear seller. In the blink of an eye the knight had put a tight grasp on his shoulder with a gauntleted hand to keep him there.

‘You choose well Meagor, now the bear boy comes with me.’ Before he knew what was happening Gerent found a thin cord was slipped over his head and around his neck so that he had to trot alongside the huge grey as the knight set off. He put up his hands to remove the cord as he jogged but it pulled fiercely tight by itself.

‘I’d leave that if I were you western boy.’ The knight said and Gerent, choking, dropped his hands. The cord slackened a little and they went on.