Carack Ch7 p3

He did not know how long he sat there, turning over in his mind the events of the day to isolate what, if anything, he had done to make Sancret ill. He concluded that it must have something to do with the grey, misty, Milky Way thing. He cursed himself and told himself over and again that he should have left it alone. But he had the hopeless feeling that it was too late and there was nothing he could do to redeem himself or to help Sancret. After what seemed like hours he lay down on the cold floor and wrapping his arms around him he stared into the darkness and longed for Hugh, who would always say the right things when Gerent had done something stupid and rash, which had got him into trouble.

Gerent was jerked awake by a kick. There was light coming in through the open doorway and he realised that it was N’Zar who had kicked him.

‘Get up, get up you miscreant. The mage calls out for thee, though why is beyond me!’ N’Ziar stooped and grabbed Gerent by the arm and jerked him to his feet. Gerent found himself hauled through the castle to Sancret’s room. There he saw Meendhu sat at Sancret’s side while the mage’s head, beaded with sweat, was restless on the pillow. Cam stood to one side and Umberstan was arranging towels next to a bowl on the bedside table. Meendhu looked at Gerent, his eyes showing his sadness and also dislike for Gerent.

‘Why does he call for you? If I had not known what was wrong and where to go yesterday when I found you killing him he would be dead by now. I can not believe that you could make him so ill. I fear you are Madron’s man after all and not as the mage says, a free spirit. Yet he speaks your name above all others. What have you done more to disturb him so?’

 ‘I haven’t done anything, I don’t know why he’s called for me,’ said Gerent confused.

Then he had an idea, he twisted out of N’Zar’s grasp and rushed towards the door. N’Zar grabbed for him but Gerent dodged and ran down the corridor.

‘Leave him go, he can do no worse.’ He heard Cam say as he ran out. Gerent he hurtled to his own room and grabbed the hauberk from the chair. Leaving the door ajar he ran just as fast as he had come back to Sancret’s room. He skided to a hault in the middle of the room and held out the hauberk, everyone stared at him. Chest heaving and breathing hard, he panted out the words;

‘Put – this – on- him.’ They still all stared at him as if he were mad, ‘Go on Meendhu, you know what he said about this, it protects from harm, put it on!’ Meendhu took the mail from Gerent and stared at it for a while.

‘It’s true,’ he said, looking up at N’zar, ‘Sancret did say that, he’s not getting better as it is and we have not been able ta do anything ta help him, not even the Brownies.’ Umberstan hung his head at this and shook it, Meendhu drew in a deep breath.

‘Help me N’zar, we will put it on, but,’ he turned to Gerent, ‘if it makes things worse I shall kill you.’ Gerent gulped and nodded, he had no idea if it would help at all but thought it was worth the risk. He watched Meendhu prop up the sick Warlock and N’zar slipped the hauberk on over his head, as they laid him back down again it seemed as if a slight sigh escaped Sancret’s lips. N’zar and Meendhu looked at each other and then they both looked back at Sancret. Gerent gazed round, Wampa, Cam, and Umberstan, now on tip toe, had drawn closer to the bed. All were intent and silent, looking at Sancret, waiting for some sign of change. Gerent felt their silent hope and looked at him as well. He thought that Sancret’s cheeks were less translucent than they had been a few moments before and that they had regained some of their ruddy colour. He smiled to himself, it was working, he could feel it. He saw N’zar glance at Cam and there was a brief smile of hope between the two. At once Gerent felt the tension in the room had broken and the visible signs of recovery increased as Sancret’s breathing grew in strength.

Umberstan looked at Sancret with affection. ‘It is working, friend Meendhu and gentlemen. I suggest you now leave the mage to us and go and take some refreshment. You travelled hard yesterday and have been up all night. It would not be good to have you all ill as well. Be assured that you will be notified of any significant change. Go now.’ He said as he stroked Sancret’s wane hand  that lay on the cover. The men and bear all looked at each other and nodded mutual consent.

‘What about him?’ asked Cam of Gerent.

‘He can come with us,’ said N’zar grabbing Gerent by the shoulder with fierceness, ‘I do not think that he canst do any more harm if we keep him with us under close supervision.’ He pushed Gerent out of the room in front of him. Everyone went down to the living room and the same Brownie who had been giggly and silly with Gerent yesterday appeared. Now, however, she hung her head and seemed very sad. In a low voice she asked what they required, no one responded but she went as if they had and soon returned, with other Brownies, placing several dishes on the table. They all sat down, N’zar pushing Gerent into a chair between himself and Cam. No one spoke and after Wampa, who never missed a meal if he could help it, had started eating the others helped themselves to small amounts. There was no conversation, just silent eating, they all sat there in a kind of stupor for some time. Gerent felt there was nothing he could say that they would believe and thought that his only hope was for Sancret to recover.

As Wampa finished eating and they had all sat back Meendhu heaved himself out of his chair and wandered out, his head down and his shoulders slumped, Gerent assumed he was going back to be with Sancret. N’zar then told Cam and Wampa to rest while he sat watch on Gerent and it was arranged that Cam would relieve N’zar in the afternoon. The two men curled up on the settles by the fireplace and seemed to go straight to sleep.