Carack Ch 7 p5

‘I should have known better and left it well alone as I didn’t know what it was, I’m really sorry.’ Gerent hung his head.

‘No need to be sorry, you did save my life as well so I owe you a big thank you. Without the chameleon mail I would have faded out. It took every bit of strength I had left to call out for you and even then all I could do in my weak state was hope you would think about the mail. It can’t have been easy getting away from N’zar and Meendhu when they both thought you close to being a murderer. So thank you, you did well, I am s proud of you as if you were my own brother.’ Sancret leant towards him and patted Gerent’s hand. Gerent found he had tears stinging the back of his eyes and he turned his head so that Sancret would not see him blink them away. Sancret carried on speaking.

‘It will take me some time to recover my full strength, but in the meantime we will all be able to discuss what to do about Madron and come up with a plan. It will also give us time to get to know each other well enough to form a strong team. We must all be confident in each other for without being able to trust each other we will fail.’ Sancret paused and looked at the closed door, ‘Come in Meendhu.’ He said and the door opened as the bear shuffled into the room. Gerent wondered how much the bear had overheard.

‘Meendhu, it is as I supposed, Gerent did not hurt me on purpose and he did save my life. I want you to become friends with him once more, believe in him again. It was an accident, as much my fault as his, he did not know about my sawol and I did not show him around as I should.’ Sancret said to the bear.

 ‘Humph! If you say so.’ Meendhu’s reply was gruffer than usual but he slowly extended a paw towards Gerent, who grasped it and shook it.

‘I am sorry Meendhu, truly.’ Gerent pleaded, but he could see that the bear was not quite as ready to forgive him as Sancret.

‘I am glad we have got this all cleared up. Now I am tired again,’ said Sancret leaning back, ‘Please both leave me to get some rest.’ As Gerent got up to leave he could not help noticing a hurt look in Meendhu’s eyes. Gerent had the sudden idea that Meendhu was jealous that Gerent, had been talking to Sancret without anyone else present and that Meendhu had not been included in the conversation.

------------------------------------

sorry it's short folks - but I am posting full Ch 7 completed now.